So Good!

Started by Liu_Kong, May 02, 2017, 08:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The game is so good :) Definitely one of the best open-source games I've played. The level of polish is pretty high.

I never got much into the 3D Zelda games, since the change in perspective made them not as enjoyable to me as A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening and etc. were. I had beaten all 2D Zelda games, and it is nice to have a new one to play :)

I look forward to playing Children of Solarus someday as well! Having an entirely open-source Zelda-like game would be pretty cool. Although the Zelda world is interesting, I don't personally feel a particularly strong connection to it; it's more the Zelda-like gameplay that I enjoy.

If you are in need of sprites for Children of Solarus, let me know! I develop an open-source 2D game that utilizes a similar perspective, and I have been commissioning graphics from professional pixel artists for quite some time now, so that the game has a sizable collection of assets (all under open-source licenses, of course). Those could be useful to you. Even if you don't use them as they are, you could modify them for your purposes.

Thank you !
When our new game, Mercuris Chest (this year's April 1st joke), is translated in English, you'll have to give it a try. We did our best in a short time (3 months) to release a short Zelda but with a higher level of polished then ever before ! We're pretty proud of it, it contains a lot of secrets for a rather short game.

I think Diarandor will be interested  to see your open-sources graphics, they can be used as inspiration :)

Quote from: Neovyse on May 03, 2017, 01:18:20 AM
Thank you !
When our new game, Mercuris Chest (this year's April 1st joke), is translated in English, you'll have to give it a try. We did our best in a short time (3 months) to release a short Zelda but with a higher level of polished then ever before ! We're pretty proud of it, it contains a lot of secrets for a rather short game.

I think Diarandor will be interested  to see your open-sources graphics, they can be used as inspiration :)

There is a typo in your message: it's "Zelda XD2: Mercuris Chess"!!! It's so confusing that name, heheh!
I love that XD2 game too, and the community will too for sure; it might be the best game of the team in quality and fun (although not in duration, exploration, etc).

I agree, it may help to see his sprites, but not necessary anyway since I'm full of ideas and also it's more professional to keep only one style of graphics. The only problem is to find free time to keep working on this. In any case, a huge advance for work on tilesets and sprites is expected for the end of next summer! :)
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

May 03, 2017, 11:20:07 AM #3 Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:23:18 AM by Liu_Kong
I'll be glad to check the other games out once I'm done with DX! I can actually understand French, so that wouldn't be a problem :)

About the graphics, here are some examples:

Cave Walls

Cave Floor

Roads and Railroads

Minecart

There are also many character graphics, such as this dwarf and kobold:

You can see more in the repository:
https://github.com/Andrettin/Wyrmsun/tree/master/graphics

Most of the graphics are licensed under the CC0 (so that they are compatible with any open-source license chosen for a project), but some are dual licensed under the GPLv2 and the CC-BY-SA 3.0.

The style does not fit Children of Solarus, but thank you anyway.

I agree, the style is very different and smaller, but the sprites are really inspiring. :)
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."