HELP

Started by Boydie, March 09, 2017, 01:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
How do I make stairs & doors lead to another area? Please I'm new here...

Thank you!!

Okay, I have another issue now...

I have one of the destinations set as default for the initial spawn point of the game...
But when I load it up it spawns me at another one... I have checked and I only have the one set as default, so I don't know why it keeps taking me to this one...

March 09, 2017, 09:22:40 PM #4 Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 09:24:24 PM by Diarandor
Quote from: Boydie on March 09, 2017, 07:00:39 PM

I have one of the destinations set as default for the initial spawn point of the game...
But when I load it up it spawns me at another once... I have checked and I only have the one set as default, so I don't know why it keeps taking me to this one...

Ahoy there!

All maps that have destinations have a default one. But the starting destination for a game is a different thing. Check this:
http://www.solarus-games.org/doc/1.5/lua_api_game.html#lua_api_game_set_starting_location

It is recommended that you read all the Lua API, or the parts that you may need, at least once, so that you know the tools you have. Also, consult it frequently when you do not know how to do certain things.

You should also study/read the code of the official games, mainly the last ones (like ROTH SE) which have cleaner code. You will learn a lot from there.
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

Quote from: Diarandor on March 09, 2017, 09:22:40 PM
Quote from: Boydie on March 09, 2017, 07:00:39 PM

But when I load it up it spawns me at another once... I have checked and I only have the one set as default, so I don't know why it keeps taking me to this one...

Ahoy there!

All maps that have destinations have a default one. But the starting destination for a game is a different thing. Check this:
http://www.solarus-games.org/doc/1.5/lua_api_game.html#lua_api_game_set_starting_location

It is recommended that you read all the Lua API, or the parts that you may need, at least once, so that you know the tools you have. Also, consult it frequently when you do not know how to do certain things.

You should also study/read the code of the official games, mainly the last ones (like ROTH SE) which have cleaner code. You will learn a lot from there.

Thanks dude, but I can't find the file project_db.dat

I still need help, I can't figure it out... Please somebody help me...

project_db.dat is on the root of your data folder, wherever you placed your quest files

the link from Diarandor went directly to what you asked for....

game:set_starting_location([map_id, [destination_name]])
eg. if your map is called john and the destination you want him to be at is called purple
game:set_starting_location("john", 'purple')

watch all of Chrisopho's tutorials - they are seriously good, even if you think they aren't relevant to what you want to do, watch them. They have information far beyond what the title suggests, don't just watch them once either, go back and watch them and over time and you will see how something that he does which seems silly complicated at that point to you makes a bunch of sense now. You will also find that he does little things which help your creating, for example when he makes a cave he doesn't plonk down some teletransporters, a destination and then go for it, he will take the time to make a perfect cave, and explain to you how the layers are working or why this certain tile is better for the job at hand. Even now watching them I am still learning new things

read the API...I know its hard. but try and do it...luckily there's so much to be doing whilst making a quest that you have so many other things to occupy your time whilst you are stuck on something else...get into sprite making/editing....that sure occupies your time