Technically, everything is possible with Solarus, right ?

Started by MetalZelda, October 05, 2016, 01:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I always thought about it, Solarus' default description is "An A-RPG Game Engine"
Despite this description, something comes in my mind "hmmm, is it only for a-rpg"

There is only a script that display a RPG styled HUD over here, this is the only thing I've seen here
There is also a platformer script that is still a Work in progress.

My though is, is a Fighting game possible ?
If we think intelligently, it is, a Street Fighter or a Super Smash Bros clone is definately possible in Solarus.

Super Smash Bros / Street Fighter is mostly a 2d game

Each fighter have their AI (Entities)
CPU can be made out of with Custom entities
Collisions might be custom entities
Menues are relatively easy to made, the only thing it has to memorize is the fighter we've choosen
The only thing is, these type of game tends to be multiplayer, and to do such we have to modify some specificities on the engine, or else, doing it through on_character_pressed
There are a lot of tutorial about 2d gravity
The only restriction here is the camera, which, at this moment, cannot be scaled in term of zooming

What do you all think ?

I am completely sure that a fighting game is possible, but a lot of scripting has to be done with custom entities. But you already know this. (The multiplayer is doable with some work.) Also, Solarus could be a very good choice for JRPGs (similar to Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc), but a lot of menu-scripting has to be done for the fights and no one has worked on this at present, probably because this engine is not too famous. A metroidvania game is also possible with some work on the platform scripts. Even a retro 3D-shooter (like the first "Doom" and "Quake" games) should be possible someday when Mode7 is implemented in the engine. However, a kart racing game (like "Super Mario Kart") would only be possible (using Mode7) without multiplayer, because the engine cannot load several cameras (or maps) at the same time. Although there are some limitations, the possibilities are huge and keep growing with each new version of the engine.
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

October 05, 2016, 04:24:07 PM #3 Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 04:25:46 PM by MetalZelda
Quote from: Diarandor on October 05, 2016, 03:23:36 PM
I am completely sure that a fighting game is possible, but a lot of scripting has to be done with custom entities. But you already know this. (The multiplayer is doable with some work.) Also, Solarus could be a very good choice for JRPGs (similar to Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc), but a lot of menu-scripting has to be done for the fights and no one has worked on this at present, probably because this engine is not too famous. A metroidvania game is also possible with some work on the platform scripts. Even a retro 3D-shooter (like the first "Doom" and "Quake" games) should be possible someday when Mode7 is implemented in the engine. However, a kart racing game (like "Super Mario Kart") would only be possible (using Mode7) without multiplayer, because the engine cannot load several cameras (or maps) at the same time. Although there are some limitations, the possibilities are huge and keep growing with each new version of the engine.

J-RPG is possible, There's  RPG Maker as a source of inspiration, and RPG Maker scripts can be ported onto Solarus.
For Mario Kart styled game it is possible, all we need is mode7 and some camera tweaks.

For the Super Smash Bros clone it should be ultra simple, the menu are simple, the area can be made using the tileset editor, the "dead zone" too, the fighters can be made using menus (and also taking advantage of on_character_pressed), the only thing is to apply a constant gravity on the characters and Solarus already include some useful stuff that made this an easy task (animation, custom entities)
I did wanna try this someday, I already have a lot of Idea for a Super Smash Bros. Solarus edition

Have you succeeded in making 2D side-view like in Link's Awakening ? If it works, a Metroidvania is totally possible, since it is not very different from Zelda-like game in its structure.

Quote from: Neovyse on October 06, 2016, 05:43:18 PM
Have you succeeded in making 2D side-view like in Link's Awakening ? If it works, a Metroidvania is totally possible, since it is not very different from Zelda-like game in its structure.

I've seen a thread in the "development" section (if I remember correctly) where a platformer script were being worked on.
I don't know if there are any progress since there's no reply on the thread.

Update:
He fixed the jump.
http://forum.solarus-games.org/index.php/topic,297.msg4239.html#msg4239

Old comment:
I think you mean Wrightmat's platformer script. There was a test done by Zutokaza and I. The problem is with the jumping. The first automatic jump after setting the jump to true at start works, but after that jumping will not function and this could be a testing mistake or the script needs to be updated. All the other basics work as far as I know, but projectiles need to be added. The test was done with Solarus 1.4.2.

Actually, while reading and rereading the posts here, that one game called Undertale suddenly came to mind. With the jump mechanic fixed and the movement in that and 2D Zelda games being the same, this engine would be perfect for more games like it.

I mean, we could replicate the mechanics used, right? :O
That hare can run, but can he SWIM?

Solarus can make many types of games. The engine does not have much limits. You can replicate almost any function or simulate it in some way.

Would it be possible to make a OOT or MM in 2d in solarus? It would wouldn't it? The mapping and enemies wouldn't be to difficult. But what about the cutscenes and the HUD and item select screen. Also in one version of it which is now canceled, you can switch from a top down perspective to a side view for some puzzles and boss fights, would that be possible?

Majora's Mask in 2D is totally possible, as well as OOT, sideview perspective is already available for Solarus, mask system is relatively easy and the 3-day system, I already have a day/night cycle script