LuaSocket

Started by Manuel345, August 27, 2016, 07:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
August 27, 2016, 07:10:09 AM Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 12:31:56 PM by Manuel345
I tried requiring "socket" but the editor just shouts an error saying socket isn't defined.

It's a shame because I was planning on making my game multiplayer.
It doesn't stop there, I won't be able to use any web functionality like leader-boards.

Since Solarus is open-source, I'd like to compile a version with LuaSocket included so that I would be able to do everything I wanted. However, I'm wondering how to do so...

If you could include it in a future build, it would be really appreciated as it it a must-have for any Lua interpreter.

http://w3.impa.br/~diego/software/luasocket/home.html

Solarus only provides the Lua standard lib, but you can easily add more Lua libs in your project. You don't have to recompile Solarus, just put LuaSocket in your quest and require() it.

Thing is... LuaSocket requires a C++ back-end. I can't just add it to the scripts and require it... (I tried :P)

I think you can. For example, on Windows, require("luasocket") should just work if luasocket.dll is in your quest folder.

I'll stick with my original idea and compile a custom version of the engine. That way it's guaranteed to work my way.

What would be an appropriate way to comply with the license? Would zipping the modified source and including it with the release be acceptable?

Yes, no problem as long as you still provide the source and don't change the license.