Zelda: Book of Mudora

Started by wizard_wizzle (aka ZeldaHistorian), August 08, 2014, 01:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Yeah kn8790, I actually use that controller myself :)

Ezka, I'm working on a new version that should fix most of the map tracking issues. Hopefully it will be released this weekend after the holiday.

Version 1.1 has been released, which includes fixes for the issues mentioned on this thread. Download is at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/77878808/zbom-1.1.zip

December 06, 2016, 04:01:17 PM #107 Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 06:41:52 PM by Metalloman
Hi @wrightmat and congrats on releasing Book of Mudora: I'm playing it and I'm enjoying it a lot, you've done a good job! :D

I also want to report some issues/bugs I have encountered so far:

• at the very beginning, one of the kids gives to you 10 rupees after listening to him: if you keep talking to him you get 10 rupees everytime;
  • I noticed some issues in spacing between the "highlighted" coloured words and the rest of the text, sometimes normal text is overlapping the coloured text; (I forgot to take screenshots of this issue, sorry)
  • if you change between map screens while walking, when there is a music change, and then you come back to the previous zone, the music doesn't change back until you don't walk into another zone;
  • the woman in the Ordon village who asks you to search for her daughter never thanks you for saving her, neither does the girl. Not really important but feels a bit weird;
  • when you enter the Sacred Grove (don't know if it happens to other dungeons too) and then exit to the overworld, if you open the menu and watch the map, you still see the dungeon map;
  • on the plateau west of the desert I found a tent in which there is a Gerudo woman thanking me for having helped her pirate clan in repairing their ship, but I haven't completed that mission yet (I still have to reach the pyramid);
  • each time I press space to "check" something (for example a torch stand or the scarecrow) my stamina decreases. Not sure if intended or not;
  • when you give the 10 deku sticks to the potion girl in Ordon village and then you come back to have the reward, she says that she gives you a green potion free but you don't obtain it.

This is what I've noticed so far. If you appreciate it I'll post here any other bug I'll find. :)

Anyway, thanks a lot for this game and keep up the good work! :D

I just got a blocking bug: in the Ruin/Sewer Dungeon, after opening the big chest nothing came out and link was stuck in front of it, unable to move nor attack.
I was still able to navigate the menu.

I completed the Goron Mausoleum and I drained the lake, but still haven't entered the underwater temple. (telling this because I don't know if there are some event triggers to activate in a certain order)

Any help? :)

Hey Metalloman - thanks for playing and thanks for the reports!

For the blocking bug, there should have been an error.txt file generated in the game directory - could you please email that to me at wright.matt.a@gmail.com?

As for the other issues, I'll take a look at them when I get some free time. It probably won't be for a week or two due to some work stuff.

Quote from: wrightmat on December 08, 2016, 03:31:46 AM
Hey Metalloman - thanks for playing and thanks for the reports!

For the blocking bug, there should have been an error.txt file generated in the game directory - could you please email that to me at wright.matt.a@gmail.com?

Mail sent! :D

Quote from: wrightmat on December 08, 2016, 03:31:46 AM

As for the other issues, I'll take a look at them when I get some free time. It probably won't be for a week or two due to some work stuff.

No problem I'll wait! :)

To address each of your bullet points:

• Not really an issue - I'm okay with this behavior :)
  • Known issue because I didn't use a fixed width font, and honestly I'm not that concerned unless it effects readability on quest-necessary messages. If you do send screenshots I will fix them though.
  • If you can provide the specific maps (screenshots would work) then I can fix these too.
  • You should do things out of the goodness of your heart, not for thanks  :P It's fixed anyway!
  • Intended behavior for the dungeon. The dungeon is actually indoors and outdoors (for a few maps).
  • This should be fixed, thanks!
  • Also fixed!
  • The green potion should be on the table with a price of zero, not given automatically. Let me know if that wasn't the case.

All of those fixes (including the freeze after opening the chest that you mentioned) will be included in the next release. Thanks again for the reports!

December 14, 2016, 01:54:03 PM #112 Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 02:39:56 PM by MetalZelda
QuoteI noticed some issues in spacing between the "highlighted" coloured words and the rest of the text, sometimes normal text is overlapping the coloured text; (I forgot to take screenshots of this issue, sorry)

To wrightmat:

In fact that's not noticeable if you do the right things in the text file, but if you plan to use a bigger, clearer font, or else, if someone plan to translate your project in chinese / japanese, this could be problematic, this would happen

There is no space between the font color change in the text file

I did have opened an issue for that and I already had investigated a little bit
https://github.com/MetalES/Project-Zelda/issues/46

I have come across a bug in the latest version of BoM which prevents me from getting any further. I completed the lighting of the toches and got the shield without any problems. Afterwords however, when trying to talk to the women who's daughter is in the woods, I can't. When I walk up to her I can walk right through her and am not able to talk to her. I walked around trying to see if any other NPCs had that too, and the only others I found were the three boys in the beginning(although their may be others I missed).

Ezra, that behavior is at least partially intentional. These NPCs should become traversable when they get too close to the hero in order to prevent the hero from getting stuck between a character and a non-walkable tile (which happened in old versions). There should be no problem with talking to them though - if you're at a normal distance the "Speak" icon should appear. If this is not happening at all, do you get an error.txt file generated?

The speak button shows up, however when I press space, nothing shows up. This error showed up however: "Error: In on_started: [string "scripts/game_manager.lua"]:163: attempt to compare number with nil"

I believe this is fixed (worked on my test play-through just fine) and will be released in the next version.

I found a few small things while playing today

1) For the heart piece in the North-west part of Ordon Village, the image in the text shows a full heart container, not a piece.
2)It feels weird the the slash of the sword only cuts the bush in front of you when it can pick up items from the side, and hit enemies from the side.

I double checked that image, and it is of a heart piece - all of the heart piece chests use the same script. I did end up adding another icon to the second message that visually indicates how many pieces you have.

Major functionality like this won't be changed since the game has been released. I will note that your sword's "radius" (the amount of stuff you can hit with a swing) increases as you upgrade your sword - it essentially gets longer. If you've started a new game and you have the starter sword, it's going to feel a little weird :)

Please log future issues to the project's Gihub at https://github.com/wrightmat/zbom/issues. I'd like to keep this thread for discussion and help. Thanks!

Like in Zelda A Link to the Past, the sword can only cut one bush at once (unless several bushes overlap which normally is not the case), this is a choice of the engine.