Solarus, how to start on osx ?

Started by Solenoid, May 25, 2016, 10:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello,

Using the online English tutorials does not cover the start of a new quest on OSX. I create a directory where the quest editor created a DATA directory. The quest engine & editor are added to the directory. The quest editor is able to load / save but the engine does not run.

work directory Documents\game\
Quest files       Documents\game\Data
Engine             Documents\game\
Editor              Documents\game\

There is no error.txt available in one of those directory's.

How to fix this ?

Looks good, except that the quest should be in a "data" directory, not "Data".

In 1.5, there will be a quest launcher GUI, it will be more friendly :)

May 25, 2016, 01:50:05 PM #2 Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 01:55:45 PM by Solenoid
Hello,

Thanks for the quick response​ !

"Data" was a typo "data" is the current format. Running solarus engine has no results : no screen or error.txt.
Is there an option to enable a debug or error file ?

I'm open to test 1.5 osx !

May 26, 2016, 01:11:20 AM #3 Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 01:13:59 AM by Zefk
Solenoid,

You could use Wine on your Mac to use the Window version of Solarus. Please give feedback if it works.
https://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

Also, Mac is similar Linux with hidden folders. The Linux Wine Guide might help you except for some of the programs used. I only used a Mac once.

~Zefk

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to build funny games on windows/osx. Rpgmaker or unity work fine but due to the Lua implementation I'm keen on using solarus. The solarus "Zelda" games run fine, so there is nothing wrong with the engine. The main seems to be an issue is the location of the data file, why not add a simple file dialog ?

Quote from: Solenoid on May 27, 2016, 08:19:27 AM
The main seems to be an issue is the location of the data file, why not add a simple file dialog ?
As I said this is what we did in 1.5 :)

I contacted vlag, the Mac OS X guy, he is the only one who can help you.

Hi,

Are you trying to run the engine through the editor or the standalone version ?
In the first case, this feature is currently broken with the 1.4 version, you have to use the Solarus.app bundle provided.

Please let me know if you have trouble to run it.

Hello,

I'm using a manual run of the solarus.app. In the app a data directory is included, would solarus.app prefer to use the inernal (.app) directory of an external one ?
See screenshot of my directory structure in the previous​ post.

Version 1.5 seems to be a good solution, are there any beta .app available ?

June 06, 2016, 12:25:31 AM #8 Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:27:33 AM by vlag
Ok I'm not sure of the context but the .app bundle is made to run the internal data quest, which means the one located in Solarus.app/Contents/Resources.
So far with the 1.4 version, you can either copy your quest into Solarus.app/Contents/Resources (or use this path as your work directory in the editor) and run the .app manually, or you can run your quest trough the command line with something like
$ Solarus.app/Contents/Resources/solarus <path_to_your_data_directory>/data

There are unfortunately no .app provided for the 1.5 version fo now, but there will be one when it will be officially released :)