The Solarus Resource Help Project

Started by Zefk, May 06, 2016, 10:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuoteI have never used musagi. But I use sfxr to create my 16-bit sounds and I recommend it (it is very easy, simple and intuitive to use).
LMMS has a free plugin of sfxr from the start  ;)
You know that nearly all of use strugled once
with RPG maker. But now we make with
Solarus! 8)

Newist version of LMMS is 1.1.3
You know that nearly all of use strugled once
with RPG maker. But now we make with
Solarus! 8)

May 16, 2016, 08:38:14 PM #20 Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:59:02 PM by Zefk
I know, but I would have to update my Linux too and it is not worth the trouble.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For those that are interested. I started the Zolarus Chripora pseudocode like code. A lot of you could probably finish the scripts before I have completed all the pseudocode like code, but I "probably" will get them functioning at some point.

I edited some of the story help guides. I read them out loud, fixed errors, added on, and made them clearer. I am sure there are more mistakes somewhere.

June 20, 2016, 05:14:28 AM #23 Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 12:12:30 AM by Zefk
Free Cloud or File Storage Sites

About:
This is a list of free storage providers or Clouds as they call them. How does this help Solarus? Well, some people might need to store their files somewhere to share them. Sometimes files are too big for the forum.

MEGA: My Favorite is Mega 50 GB free. This is the secure and better version of the fallen MegaUpload.

I would add ADrive to this list for 50GB free, but they quit doing that. They are no longer free at all.

SFshare:  This is another 50GB free storage cloud. This is only for a limited time, but they have been saying that for about 2 years.

HubiC: HubiC offers 25 GB free.

PromptFile: PromptFile offers 250 GB for free, but it has guest accounts too with 1 GB free. That is an interesting feature for those that do not want to sign up.

GoogleDrive is an email provider based cloud storage. They offer 15 GB for free, but google offers a lot more for free.

MediaFire: MediaFire offers 10GB for free and it is known for sticking around.

Now do not get me wrong. There are Chinese clouds that offer TB for free like "10 TB free Chinese 360 Cloud Drive." Also, there was an unlimited free storage, "Hive," but that has shutdown. There is others like Userscloud or FileFactory. The problem with Userscloud is that files can be deleted after 30 days of inactivity.

Also, there are quick storage sites like FileDropper. This requires no account and allows a 5 GB upload. TinyUpload allows 50 MB uploads and works the same as FileDropper. PostImage works well for large image files to post on forums. No sign up for that either.

Return to the Solarus Help Guide

June 25, 2016, 06:10:08 PM #24 Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:49:15 PM by Zefk
Free Office Suites

About:
These are the office suites I recommend. That means an office writer, slideshows, calculator, math, draw, ect. LibreOffice can be used for offline and Google Docs for online. There are too many out there to list, but these have a grammar checker or a plug in for it.

LibreOffice: This is great for offline use! Not all of us want to use a browser.

Grammar checker plug in: Language Tool (Make sure to have the correct Java version installed or you will get an error.)

Download the 8.3 GB d-gram data for complex grammar checking. You can load it in the Language Tool options: Here

Google Docs: An excellent online service provided by Google.

June 27, 2016, 07:46:16 AM #25 Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 07:49:16 AM by Renkineko
About the outlines styles, don't know if the first one corresponds to it, but there is also mindmap (that's what this tool is used for : write down idea, main lines of something and add more details when need it).

An open source and free one is wisemapping (the french version is on framasoft, called framindmap, but it's based on the wisemapping installation :) ).

Not sure libre office is the best way to do this kind of things anyway. About the offline thing, there is softwares like MindMaple (don't know the licence) or freemind (GNU GPL).

QuoteAbout the outlines styles, don't know if the first one corresponds to it, but there is also mindmap (that's what this tool is used for : write down idea, main lines of something and add more details when need it).

An open source and free one is wisemapping (the french version is on framasoft, called framindmap, but it's based on the wisemapping installation :) ).

Not sure libre office is the best way to do this kind of things anyway. About the offline thing, there is softwares like MindMaple (don't know the licence) or freemind (GNU GPL).

There is not much difference between Microsoft Office Suite and LibreOffice Suite. LibreOffice is free though. I do not know why many people dislike it.

I like Wisemapping and MindMaple. I will add them to the list, but I find it faster to do this style of outlining on paper. (Unless the person has no paper or is an extreme environmental person.)

I didn't make a comparison between the three offices (Microsoft, Open and Libre). For me, it's clearly Libreoffice the winner. I was just saying that for "outline", it can be more useful to have mind map than text editor. Because that's what mind maps are for :)

But I have a problem with people who does everything (and when I say everything, I mean EVERY GOD DAMN THING) with Office. Some clients I have sometime send me screenshot in pdf. Made with Office. So, they paste their screenshot on a Writer/Word document, and then convert it to pdf. But that's when I'm lucky. Sometimes, they take a PHOTOGRAPHY of their screen, and do the same thing (paste on a writer/word doc, then convert it to pdf). I hate this.

For me, each software as a purpose. Trying to hack this software to do something else, when specific tools are made for that, it's a nonsense. :)

June 29, 2016, 05:14:42 PM #28 Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 05:17:56 PM by Zefk
QuoteI didn't make a comparison between the three offices (Microsoft, Open and Libre). For me, it's clearly Libreoffice the winner. I was just saying that for "outline", it can be more useful to have mind map than text editor. Because that's what mind maps are for :)

My mistake. I read that wrong.

QuoteBut I have a problem with people who does everything (and when I say everything, I mean EVERY GOD DAMN THING) with Office. Some clients I have sometime send me screenshot in pdf. Made with Office. So, they paste their screenshot on a Writer/Word document, and then convert it to pdf. But that's when I'm lucky. Sometimes, they take a PHOTOGRAPHY of their screen, and do the same thing (paste on a writer/word doc, then convert it to pdf). I hate this.

For me, each software as a purpose. Trying to hack this software to do something else, when specific tools are made for that, it's a nonsense.

Why would they do this?!?! They need to learn how to print screen and use a paint program to crop. Greenshot for Windows and Shutter for Linux would be even better. I use the pdf export in LibreOffice for quick back ups in case the document gets corrupted.

Added:

Advanced Screen Capture Tools:

• Shutter for Linux -There are many options. The most important is selecting an area on the screen and making a screenshot. There are some basic paint editing tools as well.
  • Greenshot for Windows -There are many options. The most important is selecting an area on the screen and making a screenshot.
  • The use of gifs might be better than videos for reporting bugs. They are easier to post and upload. Giphy might be a good place to upload them before posting...only if they are bigger than 100 kb. Silentcast for Linux and ScreenToGif for Windows.