Children of Solarus [official thread]

Started by Diarandor, January 16, 2018, 03:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Project CHILDREN OF SOLARUS (by the Solarus Team)

I think this project deserves its own topic where we, the Solarus Team, can post our progress and some screenshots, and anyone can post their comments and suggestions about it. The project "Children of Solarus", still not very known, is intended to become a 100% free (as in freedom) remake version of "Mystery of Solarus DX", which will improve its predecessor in many ways. Feedback is always welcome (testing, bug reports, translations, suggestions, etc).

This project, led by Christopho, was started millions of years ago (before the dinosaur extinction), and hopefully will be finished before the incoming apocalypse in 2023. Much progress has been done so far, including the hero sprites, 95% of the overworld tileset (still a bit experimental), some the first overworld maps (remapped recently by Chris), some NPCs and enemies, most part of of the music (composed by Eduardo Dueñas), most part of the sounds, new scripts, and much more.

This is a list of the new work that is planned to be finished for this year 2018: completion of the overworld mapping (at least the light overlworld for now, and maybe the dark overworld too), all remaining NPCs sprites, many more new enemies (art and scripts), the indoor houses tileset, the first dungeon tileset (with color variants for other dungeons), and hopefully much more (including more mapping).

News and screenshots will be posted in the Official Website: http://www.solarus-games.org/
[Some members of the Solarus Team are now secretly working on a new version of the website. Please, keep the secret.  ;)]
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

Ah yes, Children of Solarus, I remember this. Mercuris Chest will be released first, in 2044, right ?

Looking forward to this, so it's mostly a rework of MoS DX with new stuffs rather then a straight assets mod ?

Understood ? Solarus team are SECRETLY working on a new site, it's a secret to everybody

January 16, 2018, 08:33:51 PM #2 Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:05:57 PM by Diarandor
Quote from: MetalZelda on January 16, 2018, 06:06:20 PM
Ah yes, Children of Solarus, I remember this. Mercuris Chest will be released first, in 2044, right ?
Exactly! :)

Looking forward to this, so it's mostly a rework of MoS DX with new stuffs rather then a straight assets mod ?
Well, more or less, yes. All the assets will be new. Also, enemies will be different in behavior, which should affect the gameplay in a positive way. I'd like to replace bosses with new and cooler ones too, but that depends on how fast this project progresses throughout the coming centuries. There may be some awesome changes in the story, or even there may be no story at all, who knows?!

Understood ? Solarus team are SECRETLY working on a new site, it's a secret to everybody
Of course! Thanks a lot for keeping this secret, so that nobody will know that Neovyse (secretly known as Oclero) and Zeldaforce (a secret member of the Solarus Team) are working on this.
PS: Warm greetings from Farore. ;)
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

New fortnightly screenshot (you can find the previous ones in the blog!).
http://www.solarus-games.org/2018/02/17/

Ooo, looks cool. Do you think it could work with a Steam API because if so, even if just free to play, you could put it up on Steam and get the word out about Solarus moreso :)

February 19, 2018, 12:18:34 AM #5 Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:20:37 AM by Diarandor
Thanks! And yes, we plan to sell it and very cheap when it is finished: 5€ or so (so we probably won't be able to bath in diamonds, but it's ok if we catch some money someday, lol). This may take between 3-5 years to be finished if all goes well, which is almost the same time I have been working with this engine and learning pixel art.
Remark: Note that the game will be free, so not all people will buy it, but you have the option of testing it before buying it to make sure that you won't regret.

Is the story the same as zsdx but with original characters instead?
RIP Aaron Swartz

Playing through this, i really liked the art style. I have tried drawing a tree in similar style  :)

Dont understand how you guys come up with original texture design. Everytime i try my own texture palette it looks really odd xD

May 06, 2020, 08:15:40 PM #8 Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 08:17:21 PM by Max
Part of my ability there might be I don't know what a texture palette is, which maybe helps? Lol

For selecting colors I just sweep through the color selector in roughly a kinda y=-2^x shape, with a bit of hue shifting towards cooler or warmer colors for shadows/highlights. And avoiding yellow things, yellow is hard. Whereas blue is pretty forgiving.

Your tree looks really good by the way! Might shift the darkest green a bit more toward blue, and the midtone brown a bit more towards red to illustrate what I do, but there's no right answers.

QuoteFor selecting colors I just sweep through the color selector in roughly a kinda y=-2^x shape, with a bit of hue shifting towards cooler or warmer colors for shadows/highlights.

Sort of like this curve, Max?

Yeah, like the lower one of those. Loosely a kinda curved \ shape

So darker colors in general should be more saturated, besides being cooler. Still lots of exceptions, etc.