Original art

Started by Diarandor, February 06, 2016, 03:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
February 06, 2016, 03:02:41 PM Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 04:25:25 PM by Diarandor
Greetings! I'm gonna upload some of my (unfinished) sprites to devianart.
It may take between 1 and 3 years of work until I have finished all of this since I am doing this in my free time as a hobby.
You can download them from here: http://diarandor.deviantart.com/
but you need to have a devianart account and login there to see images.

At present I have only uploaded a few sprite sheets, but I will keep uploading things from time to time. These sprites will probably be used for the game "Children of Solarus" of the Solarus Team.
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

This was the first version for the sprite of my second character, the archer.
(In my game she will be called Robyne Alabaster, and she will probably be a princess too, although I have not written that part of the plot yet.) The other missing sprite animations of this hero are still part of the work to do.

This sprite could be used to replace princess Zelda sprites in the game "Children of Solarus" if Christopho and the Solarus team agree.
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

May 25, 2016, 04:38:38 PM #2 Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:03:30 PM by Neovyse
Hi!
I really like your little character Edgar, but I think he needs more chromatic unity.
I mean not using too much bright colors, and too many colors. What do you think of my take on your character?

Edit: I see I forgot the golden line on the coat in the second line, it should be there, it is a mistake!

May 25, 2016, 06:03:42 PM #3 Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:39:59 PM by Diarandor
Wow!!! This is awesome!!!! :D
You are right about the colors. I still have a lot to learn...
We should use the improved versions for our projects.

Edit: yes, that yellow line is missing. But just symmetry of the right direction will do it.

Whenever you modify any sprite, make sure you use the last version, which is the best one. (The one you used is the last one, and all the others in the sample quest are the last versions too, so it is ok.)

Cool, I am glad you like it :)
I will improve your princess also, just by changing some colors and minor improvements. I did it on my lunch time ^^
Another advice I could give, is that too much black lines (black pixels) is not good. For example, the hair, if it is blond or brown, can be draw with a line a bit darker around, but not black, to "lighten" the drawing visually.
Anyway, I am not very good at pixel art, but some rules that apply to drawing are the same  ;)

Don't improve the princess yet. I want to improve the leg movement before, so better to wait until then. (I also intend to add all the weapon animations for her, someday.)

@Neovyse: I guess that another of the good things is that the new (and cooler) version of the hero is very close to your drawing (isn't it?  ;D), so all will fit perfectly now).
http://oclero.deviantart.com/art/Heros-chevauchant-un-cerf-380074615

Should I modify all the other animations with your style? or will be you who does it?

I see you found my inspiration source for the colors (my own drawing) !  :D
I can modify the others too. And OK for the princess :)

This is amazing guys!

I will draw the sprite of the deer someday. Our hero may need it. ;D

Hahaha so cool :) the deer was a cute way to replace Epona, and to remind Scandinavian legends

Well, two of my first compositions (all is always CC-BY-SA 4.0):

Boss Theme v1.0.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2qjlB7_KwU

Castle Theme v1.0.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn0r2WjhZhc

I made the second one today.
They may be a bit repetitive, so I may improve them someday.

The castle theme sounds phenomenal how long did it take you to put together?