.pdf of the Solarus documentation?

Started by DementedKirby, July 28, 2015, 07:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm not always on my computer but I'd like to be able to study up on the Solarus documentation whenever possible. Does there exist a .pdf or other virtual book with the Solarus documentation? That way I can print it out and take it with me wherever I go. This will also help me highlight, index, bookmark, write notes alongside, etc. (anything I may want to do) - as if it were a physical book. I'm referring to the documentation that appears in the web browser when hitting the F1 key in the Solarus Quest Editor.

Thanks in advanced!

Solarus uses Doxygen wiki software. According to their website the software can generate an offline version. So hopefully Cristopho or Neovyse will do this.

Quote from: http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/Doxygen can help you in three ways:

It can generate an on-line documentation browser (in HTML) and/or an off-line reference manual (in $\mbox{\LaTeX}$) from a set of documented source files. There is also support for generating output in RTF (MS-Word), PostScript, hyperlinked PDF, compressed HTML, and Unix man pages. The documentation is extracted directly from the sources, which makes it much easier to keep the documentation consistent with the source code.

Okay, so I won't be able to go to the Solarus documentation and do it myself, it would have to be either Christopho or Neovyse to do it and then host it somewhere?

I will be able to generate such a pdf in a few days, right now I am on vacation, with a very slow internet connection and no way to download latex packages :)

If anyone reading this topic uses Debian/Ubuntu or friends, this should be easy to do:
- Install doxygen texlive-latex-base texlive-latex-extra texlive-latex-recommended
- Clone the git repository of the doc: https://github.com/christopho/solarus-doc
- Go to the "en" directory
- In the "Doxyfile" file, set GENERATE_LATEX to YES and USE_PDFLATEX to YES
- Generate the doc by typing: doxygen Doxyfile
- A directory 1.5/latex was just created. Go into this directory and type make.
You should now have the nice pdf.

Lol, no problem, dude; enjoy your vacation! If nobody is able to do this while you return to a faster internet connection then I guess you can do it. It's still a good resource to have anyways for those who may find themselves internetless  ;).

Thank you. Now I don't have to sort through downloaded webpages when I want to work through the api.

Alright! Thanks a lot! Over 200 pages! Quite the read! Lol

Now I can print this and easily manage my study of it.

I have created some free pdf guide in the past of a great software, but i wonder how you Maxs, can make some "tree" menu of the pages (categories and sub-categories). Like i see the words "Solarus 1.4 Lua API..." and can press the (+) sign wich can develop the section.

I dont have the knowledge to do so sadly, and think it might need some paid software to do so; when i use free legal soft as: OpenOffice or LibreOffice that can create some free pdf file?

I Like your pdf, very nice! A+