Link's Awakening extended mythology theory.

Started by Drumstick, July 04, 2015, 01:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi guys for a first real post I wanted to share my extrapolated extended mythology theory about Link's Awakening, which I want to use as fondation for a project. Please tell me what you think, challenge my ideas and find plot holes, etc. Note that the english version is a tweaked google translate. Sorry. Lazy. Also I don't mind, if you find this sooooooooooo good, that you use this theory, too, you can mention me in the end credits but don't have to, thanks.   8)

english

QuoteThe Windfish is a deity and therefore part of the "spirit world" of the "real world" (the world with hyrule, the light world)

A ritual (led by ????) happens in the lightworld, opening a portal between the spirit world and the dream world created by the Windfish: Koholint, which is a distorted version of the light world that It witness before Its sleep.

Link dies at sea? and goes to the spirit world.

The evil spirits pass through the portal and find themselves in the dream of Windfish in the form of nightmares to control Its mind and have their wish granted through manipulation.

The spirit of Link through the portal and ends up in the dream of windfish simultaneously.

Marin is created as a symbol of the will of Windfish to wake up by himself.

Marin locates Link on the beach. Start of Link's Awakening.

During the famous beach scene (before the village of Animals), Link hears the Marin wish to leave Koholint (and become a seagull, or to be more than a dream). Link felt a strong empathy for Marin.

When Link kills the last nightmare, the windfish wakes. The effect of the ritual is reversed. The spirit of link is immediately rewarded by windfish by being returned in his physical body.

Link comes back to life while sleeping and thereby dreaming. (The final scene with the long stairs and the owl that turns into windfish and finally the water jet is all a dream)

Link's wish is that Marine's wish to be granted.

The Windfish grants Marin her wish.

----------

french

QuoteLe windfish est une déité et fait donc partie du monde des esprits du "monde réel"(celui avec hyrule,le light world)

Un rituel magique (conduit par ????) qui se passe dans le lightworld ouvre un portail entre le monde des esprits et le monde des rêves du windfish: Koholint, qui est une version déformée du light world avant qu'il ne s'endorme.

Link meurt en mer et passe au monde des esprits.

Les mauvais esprits traversent le portail et se retrouvent dans le rêve du windfish sous la forme de nightmares afin de contrôler son esprit(sa psyche) et ainsi avoir leur souhait exhaucé par la manipulation.

L'esprit de Link traverse le portail et se retrouve dans le rêve du windfish au même moment.

Marine est créée en tant que symbole de la volonté du windfish de se réveiller par lui-même.

Marine trouve Link sur la plage. Début de Link's Awakening.

Durant la fameuse scène de plage(avant le village des animaux), Link entend le souhait de Marine de quitter Koholint(et de devenir une mouette, soit d'être plus qu'un rêve). Link éprouve une forte empathie pour Marine.

Quand Link tue le dernier nightmare, Le windfish se réveille. l'effet du rituel se renverse. L'esprit de link est aussitôt récompensé par le windfish en se faisant renvoyer dans le corps de link.

Link revient à la vie en dormant et de fait même en rêvant.

(La scène finale avec les longs escaliers et le hibou qui se transforme en windfish et finalement le jet d'eau est un rêve de Link)

Le souhait de Link est que le souhait de Marine soit entendu.

Le windfish exhauce le souhait.

Have you read the Hyrule Historia book?

It tells that the storyline where Link's Awakening is in the era of Light and Dark. The first game of the era is A Link to the Past, followed by Oracle of Ages/Seasons. After that Link's Awakening follows. Before this era Ganon actually succeeded on defeating the hero and became the Demon King.

So maybe read more about the storyline of the Light and Dark era and the story of the Oracle games. That might be a good foundation to build your project on. :)

Oh, and Link's Awakening is in my top 3 of my favorite Zelda games ever!

Quote from: Zeror on July 04, 2015, 04:18:33 PM
Have you read the Hyrule Historia book?

It tells that the storyline where Link's Awakening is in the era of Light and Dark. The first game of the era is A Link to the Past, followed by Oracle of Ages/Seasons. After that Link's Awakening follows. Before this era Ganon actually succeeded on defeating the hero and became the Demon King.

So maybe read more about the storyline of the Light and Dark era and the story of the Oracle games. That might be a good foundation to build your project on. :)

Oh, and Link's Awakening is in my top 3 of my favorite Zelda games ever!

I've studied the timeline map. I haven't read the book, read a few wikis. My theory implies the hero dies and his spirit ascends to the dream world after some baddie opens a portal. But at the same time I'd really like it to be after link's awakening. If I don't make the hero die, we're back to the old question: how did the hero end up in a dream??

Anyway, thank you, I'll do some revision. And yeah, Link's Awakening is in my top 3 too, definitively wins the nostalgia prize :)

Quote from: Drumstick on July 06, 2015, 12:40:19 AM
how did the hero end up in a dream??
A reason i can think off is that Link traveled so much between time and seasons that it became vague for him what's real and what is not real. Disoriented by that time traveling stuff in the Oracle games.

Quite interesting theory. I remember how sad i was when i learned that Koholit will disappear if all the nightmares were defeated.

February 20, 2016, 02:46:15 PM #5 Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 02:55:27 PM by Asterite
If I don't make the hero die, we're back to the old question: how did the hero end up in a dream??

This is only my thoughts of course, but here it is :

From what I remember in Link's Awakening (my all time favorite Zelda), in the game's intro, Link's boat is struck by lightning, thus the ship fell to pieces =>
Which directly leads to the end of the game when Link awoken on a wooden plank in the ocean, in the middle of nowhere.

Now, logic would say that he simply fell unconscious.

Now, for the Koholint Island thing, I do recall in game that the Windfish was sleeping and created Koholint during that time, but Dethl invaded the Windfish's minds and forced him in an eternal slumber.
Then he started filling the Island with monsters, he also brought Link on the Island, since he was unconscious, one can say that he was in the dream world to start with, and got "sucked in" from there. Was it dethl wish to catch Link or was he caught in a phenomenon a bit similar to the "Bermuda Triangle", implying that everything and everyone who may be asleep while in a given area would be sucked into that dream/nightmare regardless of who or what is it in the first place, thus leaving the corpse in the real world in a deep slumber, while the "spirit" would reach Koholint's shores

The fact that as soon as Link arrived on the Island, monsters became much more agressive than before, which implies that Dethl managed to read Link's mind and now perfectly knows who he is and what he has done so far, so he decided to attack Link in order to actually protect the place where he and his kind are living.
Link pretty much killed everybody (Because yes, this is a dream, but for the inhabitants of that Island, this is everything they've ever known, and they do feel pretty alive, so while stopping the dream, he actually destroyed the Island and killed everybody simply in order to leave it).

It IS mentionned a the end of the game that Link would awaken, but without any memories of what happened, the Windfish said it himself, he also added that Link may or may not remember all these events.

There is clearly more than enough room for a sequel, actually, I already have the plot set. Too bad I lack the knowledge of how to use Solarus. (And I'd like to give it a closer look to Gameboy's games than Snes anyway)