Image/Ilustration as background?

Started by hzamoracon, June 24, 2023, 01:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello, new here.
I was wondering if it is possible to place an image as the background instead of working with tiles, and just put collisions to guide the movement of the character. Something like Legend of Mana for ps1?
I would just like to make illustrations on a working video game as a demo.
I have tried with rpgmaker but I would like to avoid implementing the action-RPG part and would like to try with solarus.
Is there a possibility, any ideas?
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum.

June 25, 2023, 08:39:13 AM #1 Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 08:47:06 AM by PhoenixII54
*aaah, Legend of Mana...* hum hum

Yes, of course you can use full images as a background: all you need is a second set of invisible tiles that have all the basic terrain grounds, that you overlay on the desired borders. By the way, LoM actually uses tiles, but with many, many more base elements than the 2D Zelda games.

edit : while unrelated to the base question, here is the page for LoM on the Spriters resource site, especially the "background" section which is showing the maps and their different layers :https://www.spriters-resource.com/playstation/lom/

Tried to do the same with a Legend of Mana image, separated it into tiles and giving the terrain features (traversable, wall, water, etc), then pasted the tiles in order on the map and everything looks fine, I didn't think it was so easy!
It had been a long time since I played an rpg creator and solarus always caught my attention as it was focused on ActionRPG, This is awesome!
I didn't know that the LoM backgrounds were also placed with tiles, thank you very much for the answer and also for the extra resources.