Pixel ratio Limitations?

Started by cr4ck3rw0lf, July 06, 2018, 06:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So a bit of background first, Im attempting to port some of my assets that i had designed for another engine to this one. the previous engine was RPG Maker MV which supports tilesets of almost any pixel ratio, the default being 48x48 pixels.

actual size:

as you can see the asset i want to use on the left is twice as tall as links sprite! dropping it into the game as it is now would make the hero look giant compared to the rest of the ALTTP sprites and tiles!

the one on the far right is my attempt to create an ALTTP style asset but im not quite as happy with the result. id like to scale the rest of the ALTTP style assets to fit my art while still keeping all the proportions correct but ive run into a snag. the first thing ive tried is to just double the size of every sprite and tile in the game.

however whenever i try to rebuild the animated tiles i get this error prompt.

im not sure what im doing wrong here. do animated tiles have to be a specific pixel ratio? it says it needs to be a multiple of 8 pixels but multiplying everything by 2 should mean that its still a multiple of 8 so im a little lost..

This might be something simple- when you're selecting an animated tile in a tileset, you select all 3 frames, not just the first one. It looks like you've selected just the first frame in your screenshot.

That said, good luck trying to force Solarus to work well with anything besides 16x16 pixels. I don't know if the 16x16 built in logic will be changed in future releases, but it's hard coded into the engine in many places right now from what I understand. Your SNES styled reworking looks great, by the way. Very true to ALTTP's 1991 art, haha.

I was going to say the same. Just to illustrate:

Quote from: Max on July 06, 2018, 07:30:39 PM
This might be something simple- when you're selecting an animated tile in a tileset, you select all 3 frames, not just the first one. It looks like you've selected just the first frame in your screenshot.

That said, good luck trying to force Solarus to work well with anything besides 16x16 pixels. I don't know if the 16x16 built in logic will be changed in future releases, but it's hard coded into the engine in many places right now from what I understand. Your SNES styled reworking looks great, by the way. Very true to ALTTP's 1991 art, haha.

Quote from: froggy77 on July 06, 2018, 07:35:56 PM
I was going to say the same. Just to illustrate:

wow... why didnt i consider this? man now i feel a bit silly  ::)

thanks a lot for your input, ill give it a shot as soon as im able.

Indeed, the hero currently has a hardcoded size of 16x16. His sprites may be larger than that, but his collision box is still 16x16.

A solution is to use a custom entity instead of the built-in hero entity but this is probably not ideal, a lot of work.
We plan to remove this limitation in a future release.

Quote from: Christopho on July 06, 2018, 08:17:12 PM
Indeed, the hero currently has a hardcoded size of 16x16. His sprites may be larger than that, but his collision box is still 16x16.

A solution is to use a custom entity instead of the built-in hero entity but this is probably not ideal, a lot of work.
We plan to remove this limitation in a future release.

so now your answer has only given me more questions  ;D

can i ask how the collision box is drawn? i think i could live with the smaller size if it were more in the center of my sprite but if its in a fixed position that might be a little weird..

either way, im focusing on sprites and tiles and less on the meat of the engine (a little backwards for game dev i know, but its the part i enjoy making) so ill live with the limitation until these changes get made, for now though it would be cool to see a feature to edit collisions in future releases! =P

The position of the collision box is based upon where the origin of the sprite is.
This signature was way too long before, but now it's short!
Also, I am Still Alive!
On ad Off I go!

Do you ever get the feeling that the fandom of a product(s) ruin the potential that you could have had to enjoy the product?

Quote from: YoshiMario2000 on July 07, 2018, 05:47:12 AM
The position of the collision box is based upon where the origin of the sprite is.

coincidentally i just found this out not 10 seconds ago, but its cool to see an image of it.. plus i think i have a different set of origin x,y values.. so thanks a lot for the help!

while im working on upscaling, here is something for amusement..

attack of the giant furries lmao