[Please Help] I have a few issues

Started by Shade Aurion, February 02, 2018, 04:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
February 02, 2018, 04:35:15 AM Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 07:56:46 AM by Shade Aurion
Hi guys! My Zelda 2 Remake project is coming along well. I've mapped the whole game on paper and am now transferring that into Solarus.
I'm having a few problems though. At the moment its just minor mapping problems and a few questions I have.

https://imgur.com/DQLEJb4
So in the above image i've circled two sections being mapped. I cannot find a way to make them connect seamlessly. I do want this to be a polished project when this is released so this is an issue. These mountains are essentially the framework for the second town and i'm only starting there because i've mapped the world into sections and this is the first part to do. You can see the sections named in the left hand side of the screen cap. Once I can find a way to make this look clean I can add in all the houses, NPCs and add some life to the place but first things first. My main worry is Towns and Dungeons. Everything else should be easy done with minor tweaking.

[EDIT] I have redone this map using the Full Zelda tileset. Same problem though, just more options to remedy it.

Another issue i'm having is music. I have orchestrated versions and tweaks of the original OST for the game but not sounding so.. 8 Bit, lol Is there a way I can have .mp3 files work in my project and if not, how would I go about converting them to the highest quality file types that will work.

Lastly, I have a lot of character sprite sets but I do not know how to even begin adding them in. A little help?

I'm still watching the tutorials currently but these are the main things I wanted to ask about. All help is very much appreciated <3

For the mapping problem, I can't help you directly because I have almost zero experience with ALTTP tiles. However, I can recommend that you open up a completed quest and look at the tiles from there. Referencing other maps in completed quests can help you find the tiles you are looking for.

As for the music, I think Solarus only uses OGG files, so MP3 wouldn't work. For converting it, just google "MP3 to OGG converter", I'm sure you can find some using that. Make sure you do some research first though because some audio converters give out malware. If you need more help converting the files at the highest bitrate just send me a pm.

For sprites, I am not as educated in that because it has not come time to work on that in my game yet. I can, however, refer you to the tutorial Christopho made on making a sprite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ajYOpUoFR4

Good Luck,
             -Ezka

To convert files to .ogg, I recommend Audacity (it is free).
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."