"normal" video mode is at 2x

Started by wizard_wizzle (aka ZeldaHistorian), June 02, 2017, 04:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
It appears, and the API confirms, that the "normal" video mode actually stretches the image by a factor of 2. Is it possible to just have the game run un-stretched? If there's not currently, I really think this should be added as a feature soon. Currently it would be pretty much impossible to use higher resolution resources when making games.

The x2 window scaling is just the default size of the normal video mode. You can always change that by calling sol.video.set_window_size().

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it seems to scale for me no matter what I set the window size at. If I compare the game window to the editor map window at 100% zoom, I would expect them to look the same - but they don't and the game window is zoomed in compared to the editor.

If you call sol.video.set_window_size(320, 240), it should work.

Ok, I think I'm asking the wrong question. I can set the window size correctly with that call, but it basically scales the same viewport up or down to fit the window size. If I have a bigger window size, I want a bigger viewport as well- is this possible? For example, setting the window size at 320x240 works - but when I set the window to 640x480 instead, I want to see twice as many tiles not the same tiles at twice the size.

Quote from: wrightmat on June 04, 2017, 04:47:17 PM
Ok, I think I'm asking the wrong question. I can set the window size correctly with that call, but it basically scales the same viewport up or down to fit the window size. If I have a bigger window size, I want a bigger viewport as well- is this possible? For example, setting the window size at 320x240 works - but when I set the window to 640x480 instead, I want to see twice as many tiles not the same tiles at twice the size.

In the quest properties you'll want to specify a normal quest size and minimum quest size of 640x480 and at least 640x480 for maximum quest size. That will default to a window 2x the size you want (1280x960), but then you can set it to the correct size with sol.video.set_window_size(640, 480).

Yes, MetalZelda, I don't want it to scale at all. I want to set the window size and that's what's shown. llamazing, that doesn't appear to work for sizes any bigger than 640x480 - no matter what size I set the window to, I see the same content.

That's what I was thinking too, I was just hoping someone else would give it a try before I called fowl :)