What would be a good choice for a new resource pack / tileset?

Started by CopperKatana, August 25, 2018, 08:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm interested in contributing the community and I think it would be cool to (over a period of time) create a new resource pack for Solarus based on a game other than A Link to the Past. I'm not sure what game might be a good choice, though, so I'd like to hear what people might suggest. Obvious choices are other Zelda games, but I think it would be more interesting for me personally to move outside of the Zelda sphere. Such a game would of course need to have similar gameplay to a Zelda top-down game, but it should also be a game that people would be interested in making fan games out of.

Or Seiken Densetsu 3.
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

Those seem like good choices. I never played Secret of Mana but I really should.

How about the Soul Blazer game series? Particularly Terranigma; it's an amazing game tbh. I'm honestly surprised nobody's tried copying its combat system yet; it actually made using spears really enjoyable xD Also, Illusion of Gaia/Time actually reminds me of Zelda's combat, and in fact seems the most similar to Zelda.
Also Secret of Mana TOTALLY needs fan games, especially to alleviate the huge disappointment the remake apparently was.
That hare can run, but can he SWIM?

So I started looking into things with Secret of Mana and I started some graphic rips. I started on the house tileset since it seems to have fewer animated things than the outside of Potos. I used a map from vgmaps. It's disorganized, nowhere near an actual tileset, but it's a start.
One problem I see is that it seems tile animations in Secret of Mana are 6 frames, while Solarus exclusively uses 3 frame animations. Is there any way around this? I haven't bothered to add the rest of the frames of animation to tiles like the candle and stove because of this, and also because I'll have to go into the emulator and fiddle a bit to get them.

Actually, the 3 frame limit is to going to belong to the past : the upcoming 1.6 version will -and already does, feel free to check the latest snapshots here- allow to put arbitrary-length tile animations.

That's good to know. In that case it seems like Secret ot Mana is a really good choice. I think I'll keep working on some tilesets and update things on the forum as it comes. I've also started the outside of Potos. The animated water tiles make it a bit more complicated.

How about some of the Final Fantasy games from the NES/SNES era?  In articular, Final Fantasy 4, 5, & 6? Granted these are from turn-based random battle JRPGs but I don't see why they can't be implemented for ARPGs

Secret of Evermore was an okay game, and some of the tilesets used weren't too bad.  There are also a ton of eras to choose from.  Same goes for Chrono Trigger.  There was a game called Lagoon (Not to be confused with bahamut lagoon) that had action combat you could look into.
My tilesets page can be found here:
http://absolute-hyrule-tutorials.solarus-games.org/