[UPDATE] Absolute Hyrule Map Package: ADT Alpha Floor Tiles

Started by ffomega, January 28, 2017, 03:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
It's finally compiled!  After several weeks of preparation, and countless hours of dedication, mixed in with a bit of slacking >.<, I have finally compiled all of my tilesets into one massive package!

Download it here!

UPDATE June 23, 2017 - I updated the tilesets for dungeon to include a new pattern.  One pattern that existed in Chris' game Mystery of Solarus DX was added to the tilesets upon his request, and the tileset layouts have been slightly altered.  There have also been some "blank" tiles added to the 'palettes' at the bottom of each tileset.  This has made the tilesets larger in dimension as well as in size, but for the most part the integrity of your maps should not have changed WITH THE EXCEPTION of the Jabu-Jabu tile patterns.  Unfortunately, these were renamed and if you used them in your maps, they will now have a different tile pattern instead of the ones you used.  I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Update 2: I added alpha floors.  Now you can create floor tiles with any color you like.  You are no longer limited to the color scheme of the current tileset!  Please be sure to update your tilesets!!

The package includes:

Full Hyrule
This tileset was the first of my many projects, and ironically, took the fastest to make.  it includes several map patterns, none are named just to clarify.  But there is an endless variety of options for map creation within these tiles.  Create scenic vistas, underwater areas, in-dungeon rooms for temples, and colorful towns, all patterns have an option to cover with snow as well!

Full Hyrule Entities
Make your entities tileset-dependent if you so choose.  For your convenience, a copy of this entities sheet is also located within the sprites/entities folder, in case you do not wish to make tileset-dependent entites.

Overworld Minimap Tileset
Finally, you can create an overworld minimap using one of 6 different color schemes.  All tile patterns within this set have the "Empty" property.  This is because this is for creating mini-maps only, and has no need for traversability for the Hero.  Mix and match tiles, and create a world that marvels players and makes them say:

"I WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME!!"

Absolute Dungeon Tileset
These tilesets have absolute versitility when it comes to creating dungeons.  Each tileset comes with 8 different "wall types", and dozens of floor patterns.  There really is no limit to the amount of imagination you can put into your maps!   Picking your favorites should be no trouble at all!  There is enough variety here that you could use all tilesets within a single game and you may never use the same pattern and color more than two or three times!

Update:  I created 4 new color schemes for the Absolute Dungeon Tilesets for a total of 20 different color schemes!

Absolute Dungeon Entities
Included in the entities folder are small key doors, big key doors, cell locks, blocks, cracked walls and blocks, ice blocks, conveyor belts and currents for streams, collapsable tiles (sadly there are no scripts for them), Floor Switches that blend in with the floors, and Evil tiles!.  Dungeon entities are tileset-dependent, but all 20 varients, INCLUDING one for a minimap tileset, are included!!

Here is a preview of all 20 tilesets:

I want to thank everyone who supported me along the way!  I couldn't have done this without your encouragement and enthusiasm!!  And As Always:

HAPPY MAPPING!!
My tilesets page can be found here:
http://absolute-hyrule-tutorials.solarus-games.org/

This is humongously amazing!!! :o Nice work!
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

Wow :D
Congratulations for this incredible work (again :P)

About the tileset-dependent entity sheets, they should be compatible between all tilesets. But the one of the outside Hyrule tileset is completely different from the one of the dungeon tilesets. There is nothing common between the dungeon sheet and the outside sheet, so how do we use them? I guess you just have different and incompatible sprites for each? So actually the outside entities sheet should directly be normal sprites, not tileset-dependent ones I think.

Well the reason the entity sheet for the outside tileset is considered "tileset dependent" is on the off chance I or someone else, for whatever reason, create a secondary Full Hyrule tileset.  That would indeed require an entity sheet all its own, thus making the need for tileset dependency a must.  Other than that, the outside entity sheet is not a required tileset dependent sheet.  The only possibility you might want to make tileset dependent entities would be in the case of the stones, vases, and skulls.  But as they are their own entity sheet located within the entities folder this is not necessary unless you want them to be of different colors.

IMO, the "tileset.entities.png" file should disappear someday. It is more flexible to use sprites, chosen directly from the editor; the only disadvantage would be that if we want to change the dungeon theme, we would need to replace destructibles one by one, but that is rarely done.
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

When I first started working on the dungeon tilesets, I had the entities all laid out on the same tilesheet.  If entities were to disappear, I think they should all be implemented on the same sheet as their matching tileset.  That way no one would ever have need for an accompanying entities sheet for every tileset, as it would naturally be apart of the tileset.  Further, it would guarantee every tileset having tileset-dependent entities.

Quote from: Diarandor on January 28, 2017, 07:44:05 PM
IMO, the "tileset.entities.png" file should disappear someday. It is more flexible to use sprites, chosen directly from the editor; the only disadvantage would be that if we want to change the dungeon theme, we would need to replace destructibles one by one, but that is rarely done.
It is more useful for doors and blocks. These really want to keep the same colors as the walls.

January 28, 2017, 08:33:51 PM #9 Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 08:35:53 PM by Diarandor
@Christopho, @ffomega: I am probably being too finicky. Well, yes, we should probably keep the file "tileset.entities.png" for people who prefer using it, but it would be better to make it optional (I think you already planned it). Although that file is not really necessary, since doors and blocks can be any sprite (I think), and we can arrange their tiles in folders with their dungeon name to know their dependencies. It's a matter of taste, so just ignore my opinion in this case.

The main reason why I don't like to have all the entities art in only 1 file is that I am a pixel-artist, so it is more comfortable for me to keep the art of each entity in a different file, to make it easier to keep track of the different versions when they are replaced, and also, modifying big files may be an annoying work if you decide to rearrange things to get more space to add new things. For a fangame that is not the case since the art is mainly done (except the color variants), so there are no new polished versions of the same images and new additions. Again, this is just my subjective opinion and this is not important nor prioritary, so do not take it too seriously. (Yes, I am very stubborn...  :-\)

There's no need to apologize for having a preference nor to play/edit in a certain method or style :) We all can agree that, as editors, we all do things differently, and that difference is what makes our work ours.  I agree with you in that entities should be done away with in regards to doors and blocks, etc.  That these can be categorized in folders appropriately named to suit their respective tilesets (should they require them).  Placing entities within one file would still allow the ability to add to the file, but it would depend on how the tilesheet is constructed.  In my original Full Hyrule and Absolute Dungeon Tilesets, I had to rearrange the tile patterns several different times the more patterns I added to the sheet.  You can look at Christopho's 12-hour long Solarus live mapping marathon he did a year ago, where I come into the video about halfway through, and show him the work I began on both tilesets.  They both looked very different than they do now, as I began I added to, and removed, different patterns and entire sections, so your way may be subjective, but you don't need to feel like you stepped on any toes for it <3

Quote from: ffomega on January 28, 2017, 08:56:28 PM
There's no need to apologize for having a preference nor to play/edit in a certain method or style :) We all can agree that, as editors, we all do things differently, and that difference is what makes our work ours.  I agree with you in that entities should be done away with in regards to doors and blocks, etc.  That these can be categorized in folders appropriately named to suit their respective tilesets (should they require them).  Placing entities within one file would still allow the ability to add to the file, but it would depend on how the tilesheet is constructed.  In my original Full Hyrule and Absolute Dungeon Tilesets, I had to rearrange the tile patterns several different times the more patterns I added to the sheet.  You can look at Christopho's 12-hour long Solarus live mapping marathon he did a year ago, where I come into the video about halfway through, and show him the work I began on both tilesets.  They both looked very different than they do now, as I began I added to, and removed, different patterns and entire sections, so your way may be subjective, but you don't need to feel like you stepped on any toes for it <3

Ok, thanks! ;D

It is true that only one PNG file for several sprites is not ideal.

On a different matter, ffomega, can you tell us more about the 4 new color variants of dungeons? As far as I understood, the 16 previous ones were the exact ones from ALTTP (thanks to Hyrule Magic), so are these 4 new colors?

Sure! I don't mind at all Chris!

It's a funny thing about the extra tilesets.  When I went through the palette swaps in Hyrule Magic...it seemed there was an extra 2 palette sets.  Color swaps 48 and 55.  Unfortunately, only the walls and some of the floors had any usable colors to them, so I decided to use those color schemes, and ADT 17 and ADT 18 were born.  Of course, the furniture, decorations, floors, water, and ice all had unusual colors for their palettes, so I improvised and added those in myself, using what I believed would look the best with each color scheme.

19 was something I was experimenting with on a whim.  I actually took inspiration from none other than metalZelda himself.  His video of the Water Temple in his game inspired me to make a blue colored tileset myself.  the greenish colors were, in my opinion, done to kind of give the whole scheme a 'seaweed' feel to it overall, and I feel like it turned out beautifully :)  Plus, if I'm going to sound a little biased on this, blue is my favorite color ;)

20 is a special case.  As you know, each of the tilesets had an unusual dungeon wall pattern added to it--it was hard not to notice it.  That would be inside jabu-jabu.  For those who don't know, 13 years ago, I began work on my own Zelda fan game.  it was titled "The triforce trials", and never made it very far in production.  I included a screenshot of Link standing in the triforce temple as he is about to obtain the Master Sword for the first time.

Around mid 2005, I started having real world issues and had to put the project on hold, as back then I was an active member of the Zelda Fan Game Central forums.  My game was noted as "the most anticipated fan game of 2005".  Unfortunately due to my priorities (fatherhood among many), forced me to abandon the project.  I was a friend of Antony A. brown (aka "aab"), and he too was working on a few Zelda fan game projects himself, most notably, "The Spirit World" (I think that's what the name was).

At any rate, He and I talked a lot, and eventually I saw a screenshot of a project he was working on for his game...it showed Link inside jabu-Jabu...LttP-styled:

It looked amazing, so I asked him if he could share the tileset with me....and this was what I got:

I've had these two sheets in my hard drive for over 10 years, and although I lost literally ALL my project's work, including the backups, this may as well be all I have left, so I ripped the basic wall patterns out, and added them all to my tilesets.  Then I figured, since I had 19 other tilesets to work with, I may as well color a 20th scheme after aab's not well-known tileset, Jabu jabu, and ADT 20 was born:

Quote19 was something I was experimenting with on a whim.  I actually took inspiration from none other than metalZelda himself.  His video of the Water Temple in his game inspired me to make a blue colored tileset myself.  the greenish colors were, in my opinion, done to kind of give the whole scheme a 'seaweed' feel to it overall, and I feel like it turned out beautifully :)  Plus, if i'm going to sound a little biased on this, blue is my favorite color ;)

This looks more like icy cavern because of the white filter but I like it anyway, it fit the purpose of my water temple :P
Oh god I need to rework all of my project's map now  :-[