4 Simple Questions

Started by Odin, January 26, 2017, 06:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello, Solarus community!

I would like to ask, 4 simple questions.

1 - Do you have a forecast, when can you export the games to other platforms? Such as Android / iOS? Or will it never happen?
2 - The moon language automatically identifies the ".lua" file, can I add one just after the Solarus logo? In .png, or other format other than .lua, but with effect fade-in, and fade-out?
3 - Is there no way, to make the application in .exe, and run without the "emulator", and without the various .dll files?
4 - Can I sell my game in communities like Steam, and make money from it?

-Cheers,
Odin.

January 26, 2017, 10:39:46 PM #1 Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 02:07:44 AM by Zefk
Quote1 - Do you have a forecast, when can you export the games to other platforms? Such as Android / iOS? Or will it never happen?

This can be done because Solarus uses SDL and I heard that finger touch screen controls are being worked on. There is actually already an android port for sdl, but it is not just a simple "export." You will have to do some research, coding, and compiling most likely.

Quote2 - The moon language automatically identifies the ".lua" file, can I add one just after the Solarus logo? In .png, or other format other than .lua, but with effect fade-in, and fade-out?

Lua means Moon in Portuguese, but that is strange way of referring to it. The .lua programming language file will be needed for a fade in or out effect. http://www.solarus-games.org/doc/latest/lua_api_drawable.html#lua_api_drawable_fade_in

Quote3 - Is there no way, to make the application in .exe, and run without the "emulator", and without the various .dll files?

Emulator? I do not know of this emulator. There is the Solarus editor. Some .dll files can be deleted during export. Export currently has to be done manually, but it is super easy. Solarus cannot be just a single .exe. You can make a single .exe with a free packager software like "Inno Setup".

Here is the old distribution process. It might be some trial in error with deleting the .dll. I believe I needed some that were said to be deleted, but I was using a newer Solarus than the old one in the video.

Quote4 - Can I sell my game in communities like Steam, and make money from it?

It should work. As far as I know people will just download your game from steam. Solarus is GPLv3, so you will have to release the source code of your game. You might just want to dump it on GitHub. You can avoid people just downloading your game for free by making a separate pack for non-free sprites/tilesets/chipset/charsets. They cannot play the game without your original art unless they replace the source code package with free art. 99% of gamers probably will not put that much effort into that.

QuoteLua means Moon in Portuguese, but that is strange way of referring to it. The .lua programming language file will be needed for a fade in or out effect. http://www.solarus-games.org/doc/latest/lua_api_drawable.html#lua_api_drawable_fade_in

I know, the Lua is made here where i live, in Brazil. Btw, Thanks for the help  :D

QuoteBtw, Thanks for the help
You are welcome.

QuoteI know, the Lua is made here where i live, in Brazil.
That makes sense now.

Have an excellent day!

Quote from: Zefk on January 26, 2017, 10:39:46 PM
Quote1 - Do you have a forecast, when can you export the games to other platforms? Such as Android / iOS? Or will it never happen?

This can be done because Solarus uses SDL and I heard that finger touch screen controls are being worked on. There is actually already an android port for sdl, but it is not just a simple "export." You will have to do some research, coding, and compiling most likely.
It is hard to say guess when it is done, but it will be done.

Quote2 - The moon language automatically identifies the ".lua" file, can I add one just after the Solarus logo? In .png, or other format other than .lua, but with effect fade-in, and fade-out?

Lua means Moon in Portuguese, but that is strange way of referring to it. The .lua programming language file will be needed for a fade in or out effect. http://www.solarus-games.org/doc/latest/lua_api_drawable.html#lua_api_drawable_fade_in
See this tutorial (especially the second part of the video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jsh43NzHdw&list=PLzJ4jb-Y0ufxwkj7IlfURcvCxaDCSecJY&index=17
To add fade in or fade out effect, use surface:fade_in() and surface:fade_out(). See the documentation of these functions: http://www.solarus-games.org/doc/1.5/lua_api_drawable.html

Quote3 - Is there no way, to make the application in .exe, and run without the "emulator", and without the various .dll files?

Emulator? I do not know of this emulator. There is the Solarus editor. Some .dll files can be deleted during export. Export currently has to be done manually, but it is super easy. Solarus cannot be just a single .exe. You can make a single .exe with a free packager software like "Inno Setup".

Here is the old distribution process. It might be some trial in error with deleting the .dll. I believe I needed some that were said to be deleted, but I was using a newer Solarus than the old one in the video.
The DLLs are all necessary, they are the various libraries Solarus uses for audio, video, input, files, etc. If you remove one of them, it might still work by luck if you already have the same DLL installed system-wide (for example by an other game that use the same libraries). But it won't work for other people if you distribute Solarus without all DLLs. By the way, Solarus is not an emulator.

Quote4 - Can I sell my game in communities like Steam, and make money from it?

It should work. As far as I know people will just download your game from steam. Solarus is GPLv3, so you will have to release the source code of your game. You might just want to dump it on GitHub. You can avoid people just downloading your game for free by making a separate pack for non-free sprites/tilesets/chipset/charsets. They cannot play the game without your original art unless they replace the source code package with free art. 99% of gamers probably will not put that much effort into that.
You can sell a game as long as you respect the Solarus GPL license. In particular, if you distribute a copy of Solarus (modified or not), you must provide the source code. Your game data can have any license you want. Of course, never sell Nintendo graphics.

Quote from: Zefk on January 27, 2017, 02:06:13 AM
QuoteBtw, Thanks for the help
You are welcome.

QuoteI know, the Lua is made here where i live, in Brazil.
QuoteThat makes sense now.
Yes xD

QuoteHave an excellent day!
Thanks, for you too!

QuoteIt is hard to say guess when it is done, but it will be done.
Cool.

QuoteSee this tutorial (especially the second part of the video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jsh43NzHdw&list=PLzJ4jb-Y0ufxwkj7IlfURcvCxaDCSecJY&index=17
To add fade in or fade out effect, use surface:fade_in() and surface:fade_out(). See the documentation of these functions: http://www.solarus-games.org/doc/1.5/lua_api_drawable.html
Thanks, i have downloaded some Lua Tutorials to learn a bit more.

QuoteThe DLLs are all necessary, they are the various libraries Solarus uses for audio, video, input, files, etc. If you remove one of them, it might still work by luck if you already have the same DLL installed system-wide (for example by an other game that use the same libraries). But it won't work for other people if you distribute Solarus without all DLLs. By the way, Solarus is not an emulator.
Oh. Btw, i didn't really mean 'emulator', i mean the "solarus.exe", when you open it, you should click "file>add quest> then add the game"

QuoteYou can sell a game as long as you respect the Solarus GPL license. In particular, if you distribute a copy of Solarus (modified or not), you must provide the source code. Your game data can have any license you want. Of course, never sell Nintendo graphics.
I'll provide it at the GitHub.
Ok.
Of course not, i'll make my own graphics, i ain't much good with PixelArt, but sometimes i'm good ;b

Quote from: Odin on January 27, 2017, 11:28:53 PM
QuoteThe DLLs are all necessary, they are the various libraries Solarus uses for audio, video, input, files, etc. If you remove one of them, it might still work by luck if you already have the same DLL installed system-wide (for example by an other game that use the same libraries). But it won't work for other people if you distribute Solarus without all DLLs. By the way, Solarus is not an emulator.
Oh. Btw, i didn't really mean 'emulator', i mean the "solarus.exe", when you open it, you should click "file>add quest> then add the game"
Another possibility is to provide solarus-run.exe (and the DLLs still), rather than solarus.exe. It will directly run the quest in the current directory (if any), instead of showing the window to add quests.

QuoteAnother possibility is to provide solarus-run.exe (and the DLLs still), rather than solarus.exe. It will directly run the quest in the current directory (if any), instead of showing the window to add quests.
Ah, ok, Thanks!