[SPRITE SHEET] Hyrule Castle Tower Soldiers & Spear Soldiers

Started by ffomega, March 30, 2017, 08:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I thought I'd share with you a new type of soldier for Solarus--the Hyrule Castle Tower soldiers.

These soldiers were basically the same as the sword-carrying soldiers scattered all over Hyrule in A Link to the Past, except these were only seen inside Hyrule Castle tower, and unlike their brothers, these guys held their sword up high and had different helmets as well.

I created these sprites because they barely exist outside of single poses from search engines.  The only place I was able to find more than one pose of these guys was on a single sprite sheet on the Spriters' Resource, so I decided to create an entire sheet for Solarus, in ten variants.  The simple soldiers have also been given the new helmets (Again, if you want to use these alongside existing soldiers, create copies of the sprites and scripts, then just assign the new copies to this sheet):

Script-wise, they function exactly like the regular soldiers who carry swords.  You can copy the scripts and assign them to the new sprites, or you may choose to overwrite the ones you already have for a more menacing looking soldier.  The choice is yours!

UPDATE! I added Spear soldiers now.  Again, these sprites use the same scripts as the soldiers do, and can be made from copies of the soldiers scripts, or as replacements to the soldiers:

My tilesets page can be found here:
http://absolute-hyrule-tutorials.solarus-games.org/

Quote from: ffomega on March 30, 2017, 08:10:14 PM
I thought I'd share with you a new type of soldier for Solarus--the Hyrule Castle Tower soldiers.

These soldiers were basically the same as the sword-carrying soldiers scattered all over Hyrule in A Link to the Past, except these were only seen inside Hyrule Castle tower, and unlike their brothers, these guys held their sword up high and had different helmets as well.

I created these sprites because they barely exist outside of single poses from search engines.  The only place I was able to find more than one pose of these guys was on a single sprite sheet on the Spriters' Resource, so I decided to create an entire sheet for Solarus, in ten variants.  The simple soldiers have also been given the new helmets (Again, if you want to use these alongside existing soldiers, create copies of the sprites and scripts, then just assign the new copies to this sheet):

Script-wise, they function exactly like the regular soldiers who carry swords.  You can copy the scripts and assign them to the new sprites, or you may choose to overwrite the ones you already have for a more menacing looking soldier.  The choice is yours!

UPDATE! I added Spear soldiers now.  Again, these sprites use the same scripts as the soldiers do, and can be made from copies of the soldiers scripts, or as replacements to the soldiers:

The image links are broken. Please consider re-uploading them soon, perhaps on a more reliable file host.

yes I am sorry the original file host I was using decided to update their services and now the site is too convoluted and confusing to use.  As a result I had to relocate to the solarus-games webhost thanks to Chris' help.  However there are bound to be images and files that I have overlooked....I'll be sure to upload images as I discover which ones are broken.  Thanks for telling me, and apologies for not being as active.  A lot of things have happened both online and irl so progress has been very slow

ffomega, would you create the original lttp with solarus?

I am asking that because you already mapped a lot from lttp.

you are awesome!

It's funny you mentioned that xD I was actually working on a complete remap of the original LttP, complete with dungeons.  But I am not skilled at lua, and cannot recreate a lot of the original features of LttP, such as:

Large rocks.
These are the big rocks that the hero can lift once he obtains the power glove and/or titan's mitt, but are unable to move while holding.  It would be simple enough to just use four of the small rocks, but there should have been an option to change their sizes (from a 1x1 (16x16), to a 2x2 (32x32), as well as the option to allow the hero to move while holding the rock.

LttP bombs.
The current bombs in the solarus engine can be placed, lifted, and thrown.  However, these bombs explode upon impact whereas the LttP bombs can be picked up and thrown as many times as you like until they explode.  These require a custom entity currently.

Traversable spikes.
The 'prickle' terrain type cannot be traversed.  The hero is immediately halted upon touching it.  This too requires a cutom entity.

The solutions for these problems, as Chris and others have stated, can be solved using custom entities.  However, I am a mapper and not a scripter.  While custom entities make for a more robust gameplay feature, and can make the game feel unique and all its own, I feel as though there should be a few more options for these types of built in entities, such as the ability to allow bombs to be more like their lttP counterparts, and the ability to alter their ignition time (the time it takes for them to detonate).  A great example would be to make the option numerical, zero makes the bomb remote and can be detonated upon command, and anything higher than zero makes the bomb timed.  As for traversable prickles, the terrain could be made into a separate terrain type--shallow lava or poison.  These would allow the hero to take damage while still being able to move around.  Such terrains would make areas like a Miasma swamp or forest, or a volcano in which you would need be allowed to walk on shallow areas of lava if you had enough hearts.

A number of the items are still missing from those available (such as the three medallions.  I was also planning to reorganize the tileset for the overworld, but considering the time it took me to make it what it is today, and given the past several months I have been unable to work on it, I have decided to leave it as is for now.

I had a very grand idea that might interest anyone here: I was planning to make a sort of collector's edition to Solarus eventually, that contained several different versions of A Link to the Past:

1. The SNES version
2. A Master Quest version of the SNES
3. The GBA version (which would be identical to the SNES, but with the inclusion of the Four Sword Dungeon)
4. A Master Quest of the GBA version
5. A (possible) version of the Ancient Stone Tablets (all four weeks combined into one game)
6. perhaps a Master Quest version of the Ancient Stone Tablets.
7. Randomized versions of all games (very much like the LttP Randomizer, which allowed you to create seeds of the game which randomizes all the chests' contents in the game.  This one would be simple enough that all you'd need to do is create a randomized item list in the script, and then use that item list to fill each chest).

For those unfamiliar, Ocarina of Time has a Master Quest, in which the N64 version (ported to GameCube) had an overworld map which was pretty much left intact, but all the dungeons were rearranged and were more difficult.  In the 3DS remake, the overworld was completely mirrored, and included the more difficult rearranged dungeons.  Currently, I have been working on the maps for the Master Quest version of A Link to the Past, which will have a mirrored version of Hyrule and the Dark World, and rearranged dungeons, like Ocarina of Time 3D. 

It is unknown yet whether I will continue with this rather massive project.  However if anyone is interested in the idea feel free to offer help on it.  If enough people are invested in it, I may create a whole post for it in the development section of the forum.  I am not going to be able to do this one all by myself, as I am just one person and have other projects I am working on, obligations to servers on discord and other things as well.

Indeed it is a very good vision! To create so much, it requires a lot of work, but I think we can start with a small step.

Let's recreate LttP with Solarus, at the level we can, only mapping and the stuff we can after that, we can ask Chris to do the code. I am not familiar with github.com but we can keep the work updated. I can help with mapping too, dungeons or other stuff. I am not a coder.

What do you think?

It makes no sense to reinvent the wheel 99999999999 times, so, why don't you join Aminemax and do it together?
https://twitter.com/aminemax
He has mapped a huge part of the game. He is not a programmer either, so he will be having the same kind of problems that you may have now. I am not sure, but I think there was another person who was trying to remake ALTTP with Solarus, which is another waste of talent that could be used to create something new.

IMHO, it would be much much muuuuuch better if you create a different game, because we all know ALTTP and it can be perfectly played with emulators even on mobile phones. Try not to request too much help from Chris (for the mapping and other things that you can do) because now he is in too many projects, which is overwhelming and the progress is too slow in all of them.
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

Quote from: Diarandor on February 27, 2018, 07:48:44 PM
It makes no sense to reinvent the wheel 99999999999 times, so, why don't you join Aminemax and do it together?
https://twitter.com/aminemax
He has mapped a huge part of the game. He is not a programmer either, so he will be having the same kind of problems that you may have now. I am not sure, but I think there was another person who was trying to remake ALTTP with Solarus, which is another waste of talent that could be used to create something new.

IMHO, it would be much much muuuuuch better if you create a different game, because we all know ALTTP and it can be perfectly played with emulators even on mobile phones. Try not to request too much help from Chris (for the mapping and other things that you can do) because now he is in too many projects, which is overwhelming and the progress is too slow in all of them.

Can't reinvent the wheel but we can reinvent the steering wheel

Pretty sure we can get a 1:1 remake of ALTTP running on Solarus, except on some minor things (Sound echo on cave, World transition (maybe possible using shaders ?)), MoS have a pretty solid base since it was designed to be as close as ALTTP was, and also there exist an ALTTP "graphic pack"
I want to see an ALTTP remake on Solarus though  ;D

I think a 100% full LttP pack it is a must for Solarus engine. Moreover, a full game it will allow more and more people to understand, see and test the engine.

I am ready to work for this!

ffomega, I saw you video on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNvpA05OuOg&t=1s and I have a question.

How did you place that background of the original Kakariko village? It is pretty easy to map like this.

So... are ffomega and Aminemax the same person? :o

PS: I guess he uses an entity with sprite, and uses the image as the sprite. Chris does the same thing sometimes.
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

Quote from: Diarandor on March 15, 2018, 08:55:35 PM
So... are ffomega and Aminemax the same person? :o

PS: I guess he uses an entity with sprite, and uses the image as the sprite. Chris does the same thing sometimes.

We are all ffomega afterall

Yes, he use an overlay, very useful thing for mapping, this should be an option in the editor (load a "calque" of the map we want to make)