Linker problems when building the quest editor in OS X Sierra

Started by chadius, January 08, 2017, 04:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
New poster, here. I want to add new features to the quest editor, but I can't get it to link on OS X Sierra.

I compiled the engine with almost no trouble. When I try to build the quest engine, it compiles everything but fails to link correctly.
make
[  1%] Automatic moc for target solarus-quest-editor
[  1%] Built target solarus-quest-editor_automoc
[  2%] Linking CXX executable solarus-quest-editor
Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
  "_lua_pcallk", referenced from:
      SolarusEditor::ExternalScriptDialog::run_script() in external_script_dialog.cpp.o
  "_lua_setglobal", referenced from:
      SolarusEditor::ExternalScriptDialog::run_script() in external_script_dialog.cpp.o
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make[2]: *** [solarus-quest-editor] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/solarus-quest-editor.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

When I Google for similar errors, it says clang should use the old standard C library libstdc++ instead of the newer libc++. cmake is using libc++ for LuaJIT, which was recommended.

//LuaJIT woraround
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS:STRING= -stdlib=libc++ -Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker @loader_path/../Frameworks/ -pagezero_size 10000 -image_base 100000000

Was anyone able to compile this with LuaJIT? Were you able to compile with Lua?

Okay, I got it to compile by using Lua instead of LuaJIT:

cmake -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH="/usr/local/Cellar/qt5/5.7.1_1/lib/cmake/" -DSOLARUS_USE_LUAJIT=OFF -Wno-dev ..

Note that I still had to install LuaJIT, solarus quest editor is still looking for it.

bash-3.2$ ./solarus-quest-editor
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/luajit/lib/libluajit-5.1.2.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/libsolarus.1.dylib
  Reason: image not found
Abort trap: 6

Alright, now it's time to to tweak! Thanks for making this!

I can start the quest editor, but it doesn't react to any input. I can't open any menu items. I'll keep poking it and see if I can find out what's going on.

But if you compile the quest editor also with -DSOLARUS_USE_LUAJIT=OFF, they should both agree not to use LuaJIT. (Maybe a clean is needed first.)

I figured out the problem with the menus, it's specific to QT5 on Mac OS X. The menus don't respond until you unfocus and refocus to the quest editor.

Now I can try to open a quest... and it crashes when it tries to read the dat file. Maybe my Lua workaround isn't working, in which case I'm back to square one.

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   libluajit-5.1.2.dylib          0x00000001095f7bf9 lua_pushfstring + 89
1   solarus-quest-editor          0x0000000103c89415 SolarusEditor::QuestProperties::reload() + 181
2   org.qt-project.QtCore          0x0000000109226ca9 QMetaObject::activate(QObject*, int, int, void**) + 3113
3   solarus-quest-editor          0x0000000103cb4885 SolarusEditor::Quest::root_path_changed(QString const&) + 53
4   solarus-quest-editor          0x0000000103c7575e SolarusEditor::Quest::set_root_path(QString const&) + 142
5   solarus-quest-editor          0x0000000103bbf49b SolarusEditor::MainWindow::open_quest(QString const&) + 59

Christopho, is there a flag I can use that will give me more debug information?

Okay, it is an issue with Lua on Mac OS X. Use Lua version 5.1. ("brew lua51" if you're using Homebrew)

I've seen some posts where toluapp fails to compile on Lua 5.2+, or it compiles and fails to link. I had to rebuild both the solarus engine AND the solarus quest editor with Lua 5.1 to get it running.

I confirm that Solarus works with Lua 5.1 (or LuaJIT) but no other versions.

Thanks for confirming, Christopho!

You may want to mention a few caveats for the Mac OS compilers:
- compile against Lua 5.1.
- When you open the quest editor, the menubar may be unresponsive. You can switch to a different application then switch back to regain control of it.
- If the quest editor crashes when you open a quest, you must recompile the solarus engine and the quest editor without LuaJIT support. (One of my Macs works with it, the other doesn't)

cmake -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH="/usr/local/Cellar/qt5/5.7.1_1/lib/cmake/" -DSOLARUS_USE_LUAJIT=OFF -Wno-dev ..

If you want me to I can make the changes and make a pull request/send you a patch.

Okay, now I can start tinkering with the engine. Thanks for making it!