[TILESET] Awaiting Approval from Christopho

Started by ffomega, December 07, 2016, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
December 07, 2016, 01:02:11 AM Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:42:07 PM by ffomega
This topic is not only to showcase the brand new updated look to the Absolute Dungeon Tileset, but I am also directly calling upon Christopho for a review on the data file.

It's finished Chris!  I have given every pattern a name (except of course for all map tags and the characters that appear on the tileset).  There was no need to name letters, numbers, and map tags, because they will never be used in-game.  But the remaining tile patterns now have names.  Please review the data file and tell me if this was exactly what you were looking for :)

It took me weeks to name the tile patterns, as I basically had to start from scratch.  I figured it would be way much easier to rename them using a blank data file than to re-position every pattern before renaming.

Download the package here.
Here is one of the tilesets' images:

Here is one of the Entity sheets:

Please take as much time as you need for the review.  I'm in no hurry :3
My tilesets page can be found here:
http://absolute-hyrule-tutorials.solarus-games.org/

Whenever I feel bad or depressed I come here and see the hard work FFOmega put into Solarus, and man, this is amazing

Thanks a lot MetalZelda <3 it makes me feel good knowing my work isn't falling on blind eyes :3

I agree too, this work is amazing!
I've realized just now that the image is even bigger than it seems (I hadn't seen the horizontal scrolling bar :o).
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

This is incredible work ffomega :D
I will try to make some maps with it.

Quote from: Diarandor on December 07, 2016, 07:31:23 AM
I agree too, this work is amazing!
I've realized just now that the image is even bigger than it seems (I hadn't seen the horizontal scrolling bar :o).

I actually optimized the tileset just a little bit.  The dimensions of the image are smaller, and I removed the entities portion of the tileset (because the original ADT was being used as a testing page for the entities).  Even with all the map tags, the image is still smaller by way of dimensions than the previous version.

I know I was the one who suggested the change to the concave corner pieces (e.g. wall_low.corner_reverse.1-1), but I've come around full circle (see my original post here).

The reasons to keep it the way you had it is for compatibility with existing quests, as well as convenience since creating a simple corner with the piece now requires 5 tiles when it used to only need 3.

I also have a different suggestion on how the outcropping wall I used as an example in my original post can be created (and it would only take 4 tiles instead of the 5 it takes now). The good news is that it should only be a minor change to the tileset and would still preserve your existing layout.

See the first attached image for the changes I am now suggesting. The second image shows how a simple corner and an outcropping wall could be constructed with my proposed tile changes.

January 01, 2017, 09:09:18 PM #8 Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:25:23 PM by Christopho
Metallizer and I have just started to use the absolute dungeon tileset for the Mercuris' Chest project.
It is really impressive and a pleasure to use it!

1. We found a bug so far with the low-layer concave wall corners that have a red or white shading:

As you can see the shading is reversed.

2. We also a found a few minor issue: wrong ground type for the following patterns:
- wall_border.corner.1-4
- wall_border.corner.1-5
- wall_border.corner.1-6

3. Question: why is the ground of parallax lava set as empty? For example if I want to put a ground hole on parallax lava tiles, is it possible? (Are there invisible tile patterns for each ground?)

4. One more question: why is the color of water not the same in all PNG images? And the semi-transparent water tile pattern is has no tranparency in some PNGs.

January 01, 2017, 09:15:00 PM #9 Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:25:40 PM by Christopho
5. Since there are some custom wall patterns, do you think it could be nice to add the ones I did for a mine here?

January 01, 2017, 09:28:18 PM #10 Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:30:53 PM by Christopho
6. I totally agree with llamazing's last suggestion!
PS: okay, apparently it is already done. Nice!

January 02, 2017, 07:22:51 AM #11 Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:38:11 PM by ffomega
Thanks very much Chris for pointing out the tileset's bugs.  The main reason why the link to the ADT package was removed was so that I could fix these problems and a couple others.

Issue 1 - I admit that I was a bit hasty when creating this effect and did not test it prior to release.  This has been fixed.

Issue 2 - The ground type was an oversight on my part, as I misclicked on the ground type when I was making the patterns and had forgotten to double-check them to ensure they were all traversable.  This was fixed.

Issue 3 - You asked about the parallax lava tile having an empty ground type.  This was something I thought about when creating the patterns.  I ran into a bug some time ago with patterns that were of parallaxing animation, and found that if these tiles were placed on the same layer as the hero they would produce graphical glitches when he interacted with (walked on top of) them, especially if animated.  I learned that, in order to work around this problem, all parallax animated tiles had to be placed on their own layer to avoid interaction with the Hero causing glitches.  When doing so I made them 'empty' thinking that since they had to be on their own layer, the Hero would be less likely to walk on them.  I have replaced the ground type for all parallaxing lava tiles from "empty" to "hole".

Issue 4 - The reason the water is not the same color in all PNGs is because I used a palette swap from Hyrule Magic.  In some of the tilesets, the water was greenish in color.  I also chose a color of water for some of the tilesets that I felt looked close to the color which best suited the color scheme.  For instance, when I chose the regular blue color for tilesets 15 (the blacksmith's house) and 16 (the santuary), the colors felt too 'bright' for the water, so I chose a darker almost purple color because, in my eyes, the color seemed to suit it better.  The green color for tileset 4 (Eastern Palace) by default had a greenish color to the water so I stuck with it.  As for some of the images not having transparencies, this has been corrected.

Issue 5 - This will take a little time.  These tiles might change the dimensions of the image but I see no problem adding them in.  The "wood" walls will need to take on the color of the furniture if that's okay with you.  I might even go so far as to make a second variant within the tileset to allow mappers the option of choosing the brown wooden color, or to have the color change when the tileset changes.

Issue 6 - Yeah I had that fixed the moment he brought it to my attention :)

i included the tilesets, the data files, the entities images, the data files for each of the entities (Evil Tiles are considered enemies so their data files are in the enemies folder).

Quote from: Christopho on January 01, 2017, 09:09:18 PM
Metallizer and I have just started to use the absolute dungeon tileset for the Mercuris' Chest project.
It is really impressive and a pleasure to use it!

1. We found a bug so far with the low-layer concave wall corners that have a red or white shading:

As you can see the shading is reversed.

2. We also a found a few minor issue: wrong ground type for the following patterns:
- wall_border.corner.1-4
- wall_border.corner.1-5
- wall_border.corner.1-6

3. Question: why is the ground of parallax lava set as empty? For example if I want to put a ground hole on parallax lava tiles, is it possible? (Are there invisible tile patterns for each ground?)

4. One more question: why is the color of water not the same in all PNG images? And the semi-transparent water tile pattern is has no tranparency in some PNGs.

Fak there's a lot of potential with these tileset ...

January 03, 2017, 01:41:31 AM #14 Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 01:43:10 AM by ffomega
Chris, the tilesets have all been updated and now include your mine tileset.  All the wooden pieces have been recolored to match most of the existing tilesets' furniture.  For those tilesets whose furniture was too close to the color of the walls, I chose to give them a universal color using the palette from Jabu-jabu's teeth (since it contains a lot of browns).

Please be sure to re-download the package.

Dungeon Tilesets Package