Overworld maps: screen size or bigger?

Started by Diarandor, July 22, 2016, 09:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which size of overworld maps do you prefer?

Screen size (like in Link's Awakening)
3 (27.3%)
Bigger than screen size (like in ALTTP)
8 (72.7%)

Total Members Voted: 11

July 22, 2016, 09:57:12 PM Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 10:00:05 PM by Diarandor
Hi pals! Just by curiosity, I would like to know if you prefer screen-sized overworld maps like in Zelda games of the gameboy, or bigger overworld maps like in A Link To The Past. I mean overworld maps, not for levels/dungeons. I may take into account these opinions when I start mapping someday; but that will be in the far far future (probably Mercuri's Chest will be finished before then, hahah). Anyway, this may be interesting info for new developers too. You can put your opinion and discuss about this.

PS: I personally have preference for small overworld maps that are screen-sized and very dense (i.e., with many things on them: entities, secrets, easter eggs, etc), like in Link's Awakening. However, I prefer bigger maps for dungeons, like the oracle games did. I may change my mind depending on your opinions.

Let the poll and discussion begin! :D
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

While the idea of single-screen maps is okay and all, I think maps that are larger than the current screen are more flexible in that more can be hidden from the player, likewise more space can be used for design.

In a single screen map, the player can see everything all at once unless a trap or a switch is triggered.  Earlier Zelda titles were able to get away with having everything on one screen because it was easier for the game to process it one screen at a time, and with its size, there wasn't as much of a need to have a lot going on in each screen.

Having the larger screen-sized maps give the designer a lot more room (no pun intended) to work with in terms of space, scope,  and level design.  A single-screen room is limited in dimension in the way of how much you can cram into it without it looking too messy or unnatural.  The only exception being that you use small tiles that are in and of themselves small in scope and shape.
My tilesets page can be found here:
http://absolute-hyrule-tutorials.solarus-games.org/

Seeing the whole world is more appreciated is you are a detail maniac.

It depend onthe size of the world itself.
Link's awakening's world was squarish and due to limitations, but it was fine.

If you have a big world I prefer to have a big sized minimap, I've done it in my project earlier this day.

(no spoilers)

There's more potential in term of details.

Thanks for your suggestions and advices!

Quote from: MetalZelda on December 23, 2016, 01:10:49 PM
Seeing the whole world is more appreciated is you are a detail maniac.

It depend onthe size of the world itself.
Link's awakening's world was squarish and due to limitations, but it was fine.

If you have a big world I prefer to have a big sized minimap, I've done it in my project earlier this day.

(no spoilers)

There's more potential in term of details.

@MetalZelda: That minimap you have looks awesome!!! :)
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

December 23, 2016, 02:04:33 PM #4 Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 03:44:24 PM by MetalZelda
Quote from: Diarandor on December 23, 2016, 01:45:09 PM
Thanks for your suggestions and advices!
@MetalZelda: That minimap you have looks awesome!!! :)

It's the world map from Four Swords Adventure, but I'll keep this style ;D

Anyway, the style really depends on how big is your world.
This is something that might give arguments to my previous comment
https://youtu.be/EeChhwHn9ag?t=2m16s