Free Pixel Art Making Programs

Started by Zefk, May 08, 2016, 10:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Zefk, I do the exact same thing. But you have to admit, it's not great to export the entire image, set up the animations, then have to re-export the image for every change. It'd be a lot easier to view animations in the app your animating in.

July 19, 2018, 06:08:41 AM #16 Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 02:26:20 AM by Zefk
Quote from: Max on July 19, 2018, 05:38:13 AM
Zefk, I do the exact same thing. But you have to admit, it's not great to export the entire image, set up the animations, then have to re-export the image for every change. It'd be a lot easier to view animations in the app your animating in.
@max
I use the Export Layers Plugin. It would be a pain to export lots of layers one at a time. On another note, registry.gimp.org is gone!?
https://github.com/khalim19/gimp-plugin-export-layers/releases
https://web.archive.org/web/20171209015125/http://registry.gimp.org/node/28268

Updated: Extension links.

Also, I use the merge visible layers... if I need to export a single image. You should see it near the bottom when right clicking a layer.

QuoteIt'd be a lot easier to view animations in the app your animating in.
This is very true. Gimp should learn from Solarus and make a sprite editor.

Although, Gimp does have - filters > animation > playback

Just to clarify what I'm asking about, it's programs which do the following:

There's a usable example of it here.

After trying a couple demo versions these were my observations as far as free-hand optimization:

Aseprite: The pixel-perfect option works like the example above and really gives a lot more precision when free-handing small areas. The "contour" tool is also a very handy way to fill in large areas quickly. My only complaint is there's no support for tablet pen pressure, so you can't create line-width variation on the fly.

Pro Motion NG: The trial version doesn't allow you to try the pixel-perfect mode, which is pretty annoying. However, Pro Motion does support pen pressure, so assuming the pixel perfect mode works just as well as Aseprite's, it's the better choice to accomplish everything in one program. It's simply annoying that you can't evaluate all the functionality before purchasing (the $40 asking price is a lot compared to other popular pixel art tools).

One other factor in Aseprite's favor IMO is the simple GUI; it's a pleasant break from the clutter of mini-windows plastered all over Photoshop. Conversely Pro Motion NG feels pretty much just as bad as Photoshop in that regard.

These are not the only programs with a pixel-perfect option, just the one's I've tried so far.

Aseprite is great, the Solarus team uses it (Neovyse and Diarandor). All new graphics of Zelda XD2 were done with Aseprite by Neovyse.

Yeah, I just picked up Aseprite. At $15, it feels stupid to overthink the decision. Even if I were to change my mind and get Pro Motion NG, $55 spent on the two programs is a drop in the bucked compared to the amount I've spent on real life paints, brushes, canvases, etc. as well as music or computer gear.

You won't regret it. I can't stop recommending Aseprite. It's very powerful, intuitive and simple at the same time. The layers feature is very important and you should use it a lot.
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

July 25, 2018, 02:20:36 AM #21 Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 02:36:39 AM by Zefk
Added:
GrafX2 - It has unique tools for creating pixel art. It is available for many platforms including Android and Linux. YouTube Tutorials

News:
June 18, 2017 - GraphicsGale became a freeware!

There is a blog with a lot of tutorials on Pixel art:
MiniBoss - Pixel art tutorials
The link could be added in the first post.

A nice video tutorial explaining the basics of Aseprite for beginners:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md6W79jtLJM
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

I'm not gonna lie, I tend to use MS Paint for basic construction and then use Photoshop to make it transparent. I know Paint is limited but it's easy to use and it's what I'm familiar with. I also just find copying and pasting easier in Paint.