chip music vs non-chip music?

Started by Diarandor, June 18, 2016, 03:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which kind of music do you prefer in a Zelda-like ARPG?

chiptunes (8-bit and 16-bit music, like in gameboy and snes games)
5 (62.5%)
non-chip music (i.e., any other kind of music, including instrumental music)
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Hi comrades!

Some time ago I made a few compositions with Famitracker. These are 16-bit music.
I was wondering if it would be better to try to remake these songs with LMMS (so the sounds would have "higher quality", i.e., it will be non-chip music).

Well, 8/16-bit music was a limitation of old consoles, but it is nowadays a style with a lot of charm (in the same way pixel art is for the graphics). There are impressive compositions made with 16-bit style in recent games (you can listen to Shovel Knight OST for instance), so chip music should not be considered bad quality music. (Unfortunately, many people do not understand this style of music of video games nowadays.)

Since I need to take a decision, I opened this poll. You can change your vote if you change your mind.
I will post later some of my few and rudimentary compositions. :P
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

Hey Diarandor, I just finished listening to your boss theme which I thought was really nice and catchy.  :)

I voted for chip music since for a zelda like game with pixel art, chiptune music is fitting as well as nostalgic. However, a nice twist could be to combine chip and instrumental music using a program like FL Studio which can use chiptune plugins while still having higher quality sounds for some interesting music!

Hi @Starlock. Thanks for the feedback! :)

I put the link to the "Boss Theme" song that I have uploaded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2qjlB7_KwU

I will upload more music from time to time.
(I have done a few more, but some of them need to be improved and others are not so good.)
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

June 18, 2016, 05:00:02 AM #3 Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 06:03:47 AM by Zefk
I like 8bit and 16bit music, so I voted for it. The boss theme is excellent!

Edit:
There are very little limits with impulse trackers (like Famitracker). It might take work to make the instruments though, but that is what communities are for.