Solarus 1.5 development snapshot

Started by Christopho, March 15, 2016, 10:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Please report bugs, especially if these problems were not present in previous versions.

July 13, 2016, 01:47:52 AM #18 Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 01:51:48 AM by froggy77
Merci Christopho!

I encountered a small problem with the last snapshot and I would like to share to the community how I solved it.
I worked on an old snapshot of Solarus v1.5 ( "solarus-1.5.0-snapshot-20151107-win32") and I wanted to use the last version (solarus-1.5.0-snapshot-20160712-win32).
Impatient as a child discovering a new toy, I started the project to test new functionalities 8) . When the map was loading, ouch!!!  :'(
Quote[Solarus]Error: Failed to load map: ...5.0-snapshot-20160712-win32/solarus/data/maps/memory.dat:1: bad argument #1 to properties (Bad field 'min_layer' (integer expected, got nil))

I think you will  not have this problem if your previous version was a v1.4 or a not too old snapshot of v1.5.
If you have that kind of error:
- Just edit your quest.dat and change 'solarus_version = "1.5"' into 'solarus_version = "1.4"'.  Of course, save  quest.dat.
- Then execute "solarus-quest-editor" to start the upgrade; your *.dat of your maps will be modify automatically.
- In your *.dat, you will see new lines in the properties:
  min_layer = 0,
  max_layer = 2,

Quote from: froggy77 on July 13, 2016, 01:47:52 AM
Merci Christopho!

I encountered a small problem with the last snapshot and I would like to share to the community how I solved it.
I worked on an old snapshot of Solarus v1.5 ( "solarus-1.5.0-snapshot-20151107-win32") and I wanted to use the last version (solarus-1.5.0-snapshot-20160712-win32).
Impatient as a child discovering a new toy, I started the project to test new functionalities 8) . When the map was loading, ouch!!!  :'(
Quote[Solarus]Error: Failed to load map: ...5.0-snapshot-20160712-win32/solarus/data/maps/memory.dat:1: bad argument #1 to properties (Bad field 'min_layer' (integer expected, got nil))

I think you will  not have this problem if your previous version was a v1.4 or a not too old snapshot of v1.5.
If you have that kind of error:
- Just edit your quest.dat and change 'solarus_version = "1.5"' into 'solarus_version = "1.4"'.  Of course, save  quest.dat.
- Then execute "solarus-quest-editor" to start the upgrade; your *.dat of your maps will be modify automatically.
- In your *.dat, you will see new lines in the properties:
  min_layer = 0,
  max_layer = 2,

I had a few errors like that with 'height and width' properties being omitted for entities.

After going back to the previous snapshot, the maps still failed to load with the same error... I don't know what happened there.
It seems like a weird error in general. (was too busy playing with new functions to worry about it though.)
Patience is difficult and rarely thanked, but always appreciated, and sorely missed when absent.

The problem of width/height of custom entities is normal if you had a previous 1.5 snapshot. Here is how to fix it (same thing as what froggy77 said):

- Make a backup of your quest.
- Manually set solarus_version to "1.4" in quest.dat with a text editor.
- Open your quest in the quest editor: the editor will convert to 1.5 again to the correct format.

New snapshot: http://www.solarus-games.org/downloads/solarus/win32/solarus-1.5.0-snapshot-20160717-win32.zip
Fixes the custom entity width/height data file conversion that did not worked in all cases.

And again a new snapshot! http://www.solarus-games.org/downloads/solarus/win32/solarus-1.5.0-snapshot-20160718-win32.zip
Directional resizing is now implemented (see https://github.com/christopho/solarus-quest-editor/issues/111).
The result is awesome. And it combines well with smart resizing (resizing a full room at once).
I can't wait to make more maps in my games now :)

I do love it!  :D

This is why I tell people Solarus is the best free ARPG Game Engine. I do not think I encounter an engine where there was an ability to resize a full room at once

Aha! You fixed the behavior I felt was far too petty to really bring up!
That will almost certainly be useful to me in the future. Its not really so much that it does something new... but it makes something existing, much faster to work with.

(something some other devs I know don't seem to understand. Why can't they be more like you, haha)

...If I might suggest a similar tweak... Moving assets into folders?
Sometimes I end up deciding to organize things into new folders after I've created too many of them to manage. Being able to move a sprite into a folder without having to copy/cut/paste/edit the storage data manually, etc would be a boost to efficiency...
Though, its not something I'd want you to take time from more important features to work on...
Patience is difficult and rarely thanked, but always appreciated, and sorely missed when absent.

You can move a resource to a folder to another folder by changing its id. Not very handy I know, and it only works for one resource at a time.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but... For the editor, what do you need to pass to the SOLARUS_GUI_INCLUDE CMake flag? Trying to test if an error with QGtkStyle in 1.4.5 still applies in 1.5 (and also get ready for 1.5 release packages soon).

If you installed Solarus in a standard location like /usr, then SOLARUS_GUI_INCLUDE_DIR should be auto-detected (for me, to /usr/include).

Otherwise, it should be /path/to/solarus/gui/include.

Here is a new windows snapshot!
It should be very close to the final one.

http://www.solarus-games.org/downloads/solarus/win32/solarus-1.5.0-snapshot-20160726-win32.zip

Please confirm that there is no warning when starting the quest editor and that File > New quest works correctly.

Got a snapshot for Ubuntu as well. Solarus is publishing, and the quest editor is on it's way. https://launchpad.net/~nate-devv/+archive/ubuntu/solarus-dev