Original art

Started by Diarandor, February 06, 2016, 03:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Some good news: I think that the mountain tiles are now 100% finished (at least the ones we need for the project Children of Solarus), including mountain shadows. However, the shadows are a bit annoying to use since there are a lot of very small patterns and all of them are very similar, so the best option to avoid wasting time is to have a "template map file" to copy-paste these tiles (I will provide some sample map when the overworld tileset is finished). I will be working on the ground tiles (the typical sand/grass/rocky grounds) within this month.
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

More news: all the basic ground tiles of the overworld tileset are finished. The current progress of this tileset is aproximately of 75%. ;D

And here you have a testing video: https://youtu.be/TgJB6NJCKVI
Feedback is always welcome.
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

Thanks! Compliments motivate me to work harder. :)

Remark: diggable ground tiles have a prefix "Gnd" (ground), which will be useful to code the shovel in other games.

Quote from: Diarandor on December 27, 2016, 02:43:10 AM
Remark: diggable ground tiles have a prefix "Gnd" (ground), which will be useful to code the shovel in other games.
I love you :D

Quote from: Christopho on December 27, 2016, 09:26:50 AM
Quote from: Diarandor on December 27, 2016, 02:43:10 AM
I love you :D

LOL :o

New video of dragon statues with torches. These will be used in treasure rooms at the end of each dungeon. :)
https://youtu.be/F1g4fXGRwOA

Looks good! Each time I can see improvement  :D

Quote from: Neovyse on December 30, 2016, 11:10:35 AM
Looks good! Each time I can see improvement  :D

Thanks Neovyse! Your advices were very useful. :)

Spoiler: I was considering that we could make a boss or miniboss with two dragon statues that turn alive by surprise; one of them a fire dragon and the other an ice dragon (similar to the Twinrova witches in Zelda games, but cooler). Of course, they would use flying attacks and throw fire/ice. But that would be a huge work if I make the animations very smooth and continuous.

New original crow enemies are finished!!! It took a while to code them.
Also, I made a few sprites for pots, with a "destroy" animation, and the "enemy_killed" animation for enemies.

Video here:
https://youtu.be/7FCZT0NXgk4

Quote from: Diarandor on January 01, 2017, 05:44:31 PM
New original crow enemies are finished!!! It took a while to code them.
Also, I made a few sprites for pots, with a "destroy" animation, and the "enemy_killed" animation for enemies.

Video here:
https://youtu.be/7FCZT0NXgk4

@Diarandor
Whoa! That is excellent! The crows were designed very well. Also, I like the way you have the enemies pick up pots and drop them.

I am really excited about your next release!

Quote from: Zefk on January 05, 2017, 11:23:50 PM
@Diarandor
Whoa! That is excellent! The crows were designed very well. Also, I like the way you have the enemies pick up pots and drop them.

I am really excited about your next release!

Thanks! Glad to see that you like these crows (these are strongly inspired by the crows of Link's Awakening); you can already download their script and sprites from the sample quest and test it (you will need several files, like an explosion enemy script that is used when pots are broken by crows). If any bug is found, just let me know and I will fix it.

Note that you can modify the script to choose which destructibles can be lifted by crows (there is a list of sprite "ids" that you can modify). The next video will probably show the outer tiles of houses, when these are finished.

I made the main tiles for the exterior part of houses. This is a video of a test map:
https://youtu.be/WINa7nUIAWk
I hope you like the graphics. I will add soon these tiles to the overworld tileset (still in alpha version) to the Children of Solarus repo. More tiles related to houses will be added in future versions of the tileset.

New video testing castle tiles! The video is a bit long, but I wanted to wait until the end of the song. :P
https://youtu.be/WbeWu_vMc0Q

These tiles will be added soon to the tileset (now in alpha version 0.3). I am planning to make more castle tiles and decoration tiles in a few weeks, maybe some towers, cannons, fences, and other stuff, idk. The "light_overworld" tileset is around 95% done for the project Children of Solarus, but more tiles than the necessary ones will be added too. Just be patient. ;)

@Diarandor
The houses are really nice. The rounded doors and patterns you made on the houses are what grabbed my attention. 

The castle flags and banners have really nice animation. I pretty much liked everything about the castle.

I love the song. I think I might have heard it before from your channel. What did you name it?