The Legend of Zelda

Started by MetalZelda, October 13, 2015, 03:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
That being said then I might be able to create a "minimap" tileset that is nothing but a series of solid 8 x 8 tiles in a color scheme (which is something I actually did do at one time in another game engine).  If you are familiar with a program called Graal, I used that program's map editor and created minimaps using the 8 x 8 tile method.  When I am finished with the update to my absolute dungeon tileset (meaning I have reorganized it a bit and am working on creating actual names for the patterns this time instead of them all being numbered), I figured since Chris has enough work to do coding and making games for Solarus, the least I can do is work on my own tileset so he doesn't have to rename the patterns :)

Anyway, once I am done with that, all I'll really need to do is create a single minimap tileset re-skinned from my absolute dungeon set, and then come up with different color schemes for it.  I am also putting in an abundance of map tags for creators to use, such as kinstone pieces and piccori elements (from minish cap), pendants of virtue and crystals (Link to the Past), ancient stone tablets (BS Zelda 3), spiritual stones and sage medallions (Ocarina of Time), and a slew of item icons :)

Thanks a lot.  Also Youtube has this real bad habit for whatever reason, trying to type in the comment box does not always work as you have to make certain the cursor appears in the box and actually outpouts what you type, and it does not always do that (for me at least), so I know how hard it can be sometimes to communicate on youtube.
My tilesets page can be found here:
http://absolute-hyrule-tutorials.solarus-games.org/

Quote from: ffomega on December 05, 2016, 12:31:06 PM
I figured since Chris has enough work to do coding and making games for Solarus, the least I can do is work on my own tileset so he doesn't have to rename the patterns :)
Thank you for that, it will really help!
And I will definitely use it in future projects and probably in the ALTTP resource pack.

Now about MetalZelda's project, it is very promising, this is one of the most advanced projects made with Solarus so far :)

December 07, 2016, 12:54:42 AM #62 Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:06:16 AM by MetalZelda
Thanks Chris, and ff, glad you like the project  :)

ff: Speaking of Zelda AST, I have a personnal request about it, there is a sprite that doesn't exists in ALTTP and I would love to use it as an effect for the Light arrows, this one in particular (https://youtu.be/JqE7NwyA-MU?t=1m30s) -> The effect on Link

What specififc affect are you talking about? Are you referring to the fe3male sprite of the hero?  If so, there are actually two different sprite sets of the hero for AST depending on what gender you picked in the original Satellivision thing when it aired live, your character would have Link's body, but the head of the mascot's gender you chose.  Actually someone made a mod for Link to the Past using the AST mascot male or female edition bit i don't know who and where to find it.

Oh I'm reffering to the effect played on Link after Zelda says "goodbye" and before Link disappear, it doesn't exist in ALTTP :P

December 31, 2016, 03:33:28 PM #65 Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 03:41:13 PM by MetalZelda
Okay, this is it. We are the 31th december, a promise is a promise, here's a little preview of the game, it feels a bit short but I don't want to spoil much until the next trailer coming in february, which will be about the storyline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqFgnIZfPyw

The trailer looks awesome. Almost as exited about this game as I am for BoTW. Maybe even more because I don't have to buy a new system. Keep up the good work!

Do you think that the github will be updated soon?

Yes, update soon, I just need to do some tweaks.

Quote from: MetalZelda on December 23, 2016, 03:23:42 PM
Oh I'm reffering to the effect played on Link after Zelda says "goodbye" and before Link disappear, it doesn't exist in ALTTP :P

I started playing through Ancient Sstone Tablets yesterday because there are things I think should be ripped from the game (NPC animation frames, unseen in LttP NPCs, tiles, and perhaps even the maps themselves).

It's an undertaking I admit, because I was also considering ripping the sprit6es for the male and female BS-X mascots from AST as well.

Once I get to the end of the 4th week, I'll try to grab the effect you're talking about.

I am in the process of creating a single sprite sheet of Link containing all animations for every item in LttP, along with some extras (a "flipping" animation like the one in Link's Awakening for the Roc's Feather, and perhaps animations for a couple extra items).  I still lack around five animation sets to complete the sprite sheet (Bug net, Bombos, Quake, Ether, Shovel, & Link's Prayer/Book of Mudora).  I think I have collected all other animations necessary to complete it

February 05, 2017, 01:02:20 AM #70 Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 03:27:11 AM by MetalZelda
Okay, february, here's the changelog

-> Everything got reworked (again) and are being re-reworked yet again (see bellow)
-> Added enemies
-> Added custom shield (Minish Cap)
-> Started custom Sword
-> Water Temple completed
-> Goron Sanctuary completed
-> Enemies now interract with things (switches)
-> Side Quest items done, works like in Wind Waker (you show them to the NPC, they interact, or else, "this item is useless here")
-> Added physic to Roc's Cape (Custom stream)
-> Added screen size support (4:3, 16:9 and 16:10)

Screen size is set at start time by the user, through a menu, then all needed images (pause menu background) is loaded depending on the resolution
This is an example in 432x240 (16:10) -> Approximation, quest size need to be a multiple of 8

This is an example in 400x240 (16:9) -> 3ds resolution, wide

Original resolution, meh, 320x240 is common and you can see how it looks in early posts.

Edit: we can't edit the quest size, hmmmm, well then, I should try something else, maybe using an exe installer and then let the user choose once, and let the other quest.dat with the different resolution ...
Edit2:Why not starting a menu at the very first launch, and add an option to change the size in the selection menu and just copy a premade quest.dat with the resolution, paste in the root folder and just end the game ...
It works, now, did someone know how to get the quest directory using pure lua ? This is the last step needed and then resolutions will be fully implemented and compatible with other systems

The correct way is to choose the quest size is from the quest launcher GUI. Unfortunately it is not implemented yet :) But I can do it for 1.6.

February 05, 2017, 01:27:17 PM #72 Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 01:33:09 PM by MetalZelda
Quote from: Christopho on February 05, 2017, 09:18:58 AM
The correct way is to choose the quest size is from the quest launcher GUI. Unfortunately it is not implemented yet :) But I can do it for 1.6.

This is cool, but I wanna let players to choose their screen format when the game starts, it might be confusing for them if you let them choose manually, plus, some bitmaps will be not draw the right way if the user choose it's own resolution (file selection, pause background). It works, selecting a screen format replace the quest.dat with the proper one and the game is closed, the only thing is, there are no proper lua method to get the root of the folder, using sol.file.open("quest.dat", "r") works, but writing is only allowed for the quest write directory, unless io.open is used

Because, if the player set it's own resolution, this would happen

February 05, 2017, 01:58:42 PM #73 Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 02:12:41 PM by Christopho
If you allow several quest sizes, it is your job to make your menus adapt to the actual size. This is what I do in ZSDX and ZSXD and it works well. quest.dat allows a range of sizes and all menus take this into account.

So why would you need to change quest.dat dynamically? Forget about that, especially when you know that the actual data can be in a data.solarus archive.

Quote from: MetalZelda on February 05, 2017, 01:27:17 PM
I wanna let players to choose their screen format when the game starts, it might be confusing for them if you let them choose manually
I don't understand what you mean, this is a contradiction to me.

Would a sol.video.set_quest_size() function help? On mobile devices, I would directly run the quest with a 16:9 quest size, and on desktop computers, I would use the launcher GUI to choose the video settings. That's why I thought sol.video.set_quest_size() was not really necessary.

@MetalZelda: you can make the menu image to be centered regardless of the chosen quest size. If that is not the case, then it is the code what should be changed in order to calculate the coordinates where the sprites/surfaces of the menu should be drawn.
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."