[Feature] Custom background for a map

Started by Zeror, August 28, 2015, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
August 28, 2015, 08:30:55 PM Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 11:43:56 AM by Zeror
In the tileset options you can set up a background color for the map. For the Light World it is green for example.

It would be very cool if there was an option to overrule that option in the map settings. For example. I like to create a desert and for that i need the Light World tileset, but the Light World tileset has that green background, which is not very useful for a desert map. So i'd to have a yellowish color as background instead.

Is that a good idea for Solarus?

Side-request of this idea:
It'll be even better if we can set up the 'tiletype for the 'background. Like traversable, deep water, grass etc....
It would be cool if we can do this in the tileset settings as well as the map settings to overrule it (like above's idea).

I'm not sure, actually, the background color of tilesets is not even a very useful feature to me.
What do you think everyone?

It is not very useful as it currently is...
I would either improve or remove the background setting. To improve it, Zeror's suggestions are perfectly fine. It would also be a great improvement if an image loaded from a file or a tile of the tileset could be used as background (automatically repeated so that it covers the whole map). If the background setting is removed, any 8x8 tile could be used as background instead. In that case, an option like "always behind other tiles" would be cool so that "bring to back" could still be used without tiles disappearing behind the background.

On the one hand, I think this is quite unnecessary, since you can put a tile and resize it to have it as a background. This is just my opinion.

But, on the other hand, we would have the advantage of not being able to move the background accidentally in the editor (which happens sometimes), which could be useful, although not really important at all.
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

Quote from: Diarandor on August 28, 2015, 09:46:17 PM
But, on the other hand, we would have the advantage of not being able to move the background accidentally in the editor (which happens sometimes), which could be useful, although not really important at all.
I have this problem all the time. Cause when i want to select some tiles to move it and i have a background tile. it just moves the background tile instead of selecting. It requires some puzzling to bypass this problem.

Actually the tileset's background color will useful for when the camera is off limits, like when you do a quake effect.

This feature request might not even be necessary if we get that Issue fixed, and add a hotkey/menu option to change a tile's Z-position on the current layer that won't send it all the way to the front or back. This would address most cases where it's a problem as far as I know.

Quote from: Christopho on August 31, 2015, 11:24:26 AM
Actually the tileset's background color will useful for when the camera is off limits, like when you do a quake effect.
Like suggested above, would be great if that background color can be a texture as well.