Hybrid game (Link's Awakening + Lost Vikings 2)

Started by Diarandor, August 01, 2015, 07:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Great, thanks! Yes, you will have full credit of course.

Another question about something that is tilting me : how did you do for the bird thing at 5:23 (slowly landing), I'm trying to make some items using this feature but it always fail

@MetalZelda: I used the same script I use to carry and throw custom entities (which I call portable entities). I improved the code, so it's cleaner now, and added some more parameters for more customization during the throw. Now one can choose the number of bounces, max distance, the speed for the thrown entity, and define some custom optional events like on_carried, on_thrown and on_fall_finished; thats what I used for the bird thing. That script is great for a lot of purposes. Wrightmat has an older version of that script integrated with his own scripts, which could still be useful for others.
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

Nice to see how it is always possible to reimplement engine things in pure Lua to allow more customization :)

@Christopho: I agree. Although I forgot to show it on the video, I am using custom entities for pickables and teleporters. This allows, for instance, to jump over a pickable without picking it, or over some stairs teleporter without teleporting (any additional condition can be used in the collision test). Another script is used to replace built-in pickables and teleporters defined on the map by custom entities, so all the properties can be set directly in the Editor (you suggested to me to do this and it was a great idea, so thanks!).
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

Haha yes, a very interesting trick :)
But jumping over a built-in teletransporter does not activate it. I use this behavior in puzzles of ZSDX.

Jumping over a built-in pickable should ignore it too, but I have never tried so maybe there is a bug.

I forgot to say that I am using a fully scripted jump, similar to the jump in LA, which allows to control the hero during the jump. So there is no bug. Also, the long jump shown in the video, with boots + feather, is scripted.

January 30, 2016, 01:38:53 AM #22 Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 01:48:46 AM by Diarandor
Hi there! Here you have another video showing more things and features.
It shows the starting menus (I made them this week, the select hero menu was inspired by the one in the game Treasure of the Rudras), and the improved dialog box that allows using sprites for more customization.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRRcZjAwMw8

I am planning to make a new HUD like the one in Link's Awakening but with 3 assignable slots (exactly like the one in Lenna's Inception). This HUD will be possible in Solarus 1.5, when the camera will allow more customization. (And then I will replace part of the current graphics of the HUD to have only original ones.)

I have uploaded a new video to show the new sword animations: sword_loading, sword_loading_walking, sword_tapping and spin_attack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGiGAEvwml0&feature=youtu.be

New video testing an experimental game over menu, and also some new original animations.
Link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SnaEUMfiI4&feature=youtu.be

-The animations: "grabbing", "pushing", "pulling", "hurt", "victory", "falling", "dying" and "jumping" are finished for the main hero (the swordsman).
-Remaining animations to do: the swimming ones, a better one for running, the super spin attack, and the ones for all of the weapons.

A new one of my silly videos:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxxk-sldEzc
This one shows:
-Some silly slime enemies.
-Improved trajectory for the jump.
-Running and swimming animations (these are new).

Thanks! ;D

Looks awesome Diarandor!

I could really use that jumping trajectory scripts for my Tektite enemy - any chance you'd share it?