Sample Quests, with content?

Started by ZoriaRPG, May 24, 2015, 07:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
May 24, 2015, 07:59:42 PM Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 08:44:56 PM by ZoriaRPG
I've been a long-time user of ZC/ZQuest, and the idea behind this game engine is interesting, however...

It would be nice if there was a sample quest file, that contained all of the items, enemies, and other game objects that are actually in Solarus DX. You know, like the screenshot on the main page at http://www.solarus-games.org/ displays...

Did I miss something?

Is there a way to import all of that into the editor, or a download link for the quest package for the Solarus game?

A default quest, with all of the goodies used in the Solarus game, should be attached to this, IMO, in future builds.

P.S. I should note, that I did manage to merge all the material from the GitHub sources, but I still feel that should be included with the editor as an example quest, rather than a one-room thing. People who want to make all their items from scratch, can do that, but people who want a drag-and-drop Z3 engine, will want something with which to build that.

I need to read the docs for all of this, as I'm trying to figure out how item sprites are linked to the items, as there's nothing seemingly in the item code that determines its sprite. It's all quite interesting, although it'll mean learning yet another language, and specific syntax; so it may be a while before I can get around to doing more than making a quick and dirty test game.

Otherwise, the end-user is stuck creating all of the game objects from scratch, which is essentially saying 'make the whole game engine, again'. I would appreciate some information on this matter, and some example quest files, if possible. Thank you, and cheers.

Hi,
The sample quest is very limited indeed. It will be improved in future versions.
But the engine and editor do not include Zelda graphics due to license reasons. You can find a resource pack for Zelda A Link to the Past separately here: https://github.com/christopho/solarus-alttp-pack/
Solarus, as a tool to create your own quest, is still a young project compared to Zelda Classic. The sample quest and the A Link to the Past resource pack will be improved in next releases.
I also recommend the tutorial: http://wiki.solarus-games.org/doku.php?id=video_tutorial

Well, as I said, I already fetched the DX quest pack from GitHub,  but you either need to bundle that, or make it easily available (as in, put a direct link to it, as a ZIP archive, on the Solarus download page) so that people aren't entirely lost.

I can understand wanting to avoid IP complaints, but let's face it you designed this to make Z3-inspired games, and you already distribute both the DX and the XD games under GPL 3, so putting them on the site directly, wouldn't change much.

I'm personally not an avid fan of GPL3, and I distribute under GPL and LGPL v2, but that's me. (I'm guessing that you were forced to use v3 because of Lua anyway.)

I also doubt that the GPL community will come down at you in flames for bundling Nintendo graphics, and sound samples with a binary. Binary distribution, primarily requires that sources are made available; and you do exactly that. External infringement isn't a clear breaker for GPL, only for those who own the IP, and ZC has been around for 16 years with no complaints whatsoever.

Most of these fan projects, from what I can see, Nintendo look at as free advertising.

There is a resource packs page on the website. Maybe we should make it easier to find then.

I am not an expert of GPL v2 or v3, I simply chose the most recent one. Lua is not a problem, it a very permissive license (MIT license).
People from Debian, Gentoo and other systems contacted me a few years ago when the separation between the engine and the data was not clear. Now we have a clean engine that can be included in Linux distributions. And one day some free quests.

Our Zelda games are not GPL (we don't own Zelda graphics), they have a mixed license. I cannot allow anyone to re-use Zelda graphics like GPL says. It is Nintendo that decides to tolerate  fangames or not.

Are you saying that Zelda Classic is GPL? I thought it was proprietary. Are you a ZC author?

We will see how to make the Zelda resource pack(s) more easily accessible. Thanks for the feedback.

For the moment, I mentioned quickly that resource pack is not included : http://www.solarus-games.org/engine/download/