How can one contribute?

Started by topdown, May 24, 2015, 12:16:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Other than money, which is probably always welcome  ;D, how can one contribute to the project?

As far as I know, you can help translating quests, you might rip or create sprites and share them or you can take a look at the source code of the engine and help developing it.

What does translate a quest mean?  From what to what?
What does rip a sprite mean?

Translating a quest... well, it's the translation of an existing game from one language to an other one. I think every language will be welcome. How you do it... there's a guide here. If you need more detailed information I suppose you contact the solarus team: http://www.solarus-games.org/contact-form/
Ripping sprites means you extract them somehow from a game like, for example, A link to the past. You can find more information about that in the FAQ of this page.

May 24, 2015, 10:52:05 AM #5 Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 11:51:02 AM by oclero
It makes me think we should make a little tutorial on how to use Qt Linguist to translate quests the quest editor, so everyone could translate it and not only developers :)
And if you're good at web development, your help is welcome for helping me on the website. I was thinking about creating a free and open-source Wordpress theme not only for Solarus, but that could be use for any software project, since categories are always the same (dev blog, download, FAQ, dev documentation...) . I noticed such theme does not exists for the moment (or is not free). So your help is welcome there too !

Qt Linguist is the tool to translate the quest editor. To translate quest, one should either edit data files by hand or using Solarus Quest Editor.

May 24, 2015, 11:50:02 AM #7 Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 12:11:53 PM by oclero
Ha yes sorry! but the Quest Editor can also be translated  :D I have to correct my message

Mine are in English, if that's what you mean.  I don't think I understand what you are asking for.

Quote from: oclero on May 24, 2015, 10:52:05 AM
It makes me think we should make a little tutorial on how to use Qt Linguist to translate quests the quest editor, so everyone could translate it and not only developers :)
And if you're good at web development, your help is welcome for helping me on the website. I was thinking about creating a free and open-source Wordpress theme not only for Solarus, but that could be use for any software project, since categories are always the same (dev blog, download, FAQ, dev documentation...) . I noticed such theme does not exists for the moment (or is not free). So your help is welcome there too !

This website?

Quote from: topdown on May 24, 2015, 08:01:49 PM
This website?

Not the forum but the wordpress theme used for http://www.solarus-games.org/.
But if you can make a SimpleMachines Forum theme, it's just as good.

It looks pretty good now.  You did a great job.  What's wrong?

It's not wrong, it's just that it could be better ;)
We are using Vantage, which is not totally free. We use the free version, but there is a full version where you can do more stuff. And that stuff is easy to add, but we cannot add it in Vantage. Currently, it's a bit tweaked and some stuff like the top entries in the menu have strange behavior. And when you have to update it, all the modifications in the CSS have to be added again. Not very handy!