[Question] Enemies

Started by jportela87, April 16, 2015, 03:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello all,

So I somehow found the Solarus engine and have been following the english tutorial videos to try and create a sample game (that i can expand on over time). I tried to replicate the enemy chapter from the french tutorial and am able to do so with the required resources zip, but now my question is are there any other enemy sprites I am able to download that are not custom user made? In the video I see Christopho has a long list of enemies from ALTTP! But are those not released in resource packs?

I'm not sure why they're not included in the alttp resource pack but you can find them in the Mystery of Solarus DX repository. https://github.com/christopho/zsdx

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you =)

Well I have yet another question, so hopefully someone notices since I will post it here to avoid spamming topics.

So I am able to get basic enemies to work, but more complex enemies such as Ganon or Gelidrak I am unable to get the boss fight script to work. Gannon sort of just follows link around like a basic enemy. Gelidrak's body flies about but no head or tail. And if I place the head or tail as an enemy then the head simply stays in place and the tail just follows a U pattern.

Is there another script that needs to be made in the map in order to call the boss fight functions of a specific enemy?

Yes, bosses are often complex and often composed of several enemies.

Gelidrak creates its head and tail from enemy:on_enabled(), so it probably only works if you enable him dynamically, like when the hero enters the room. There is nothing special to do on the map script.

Ganon is more complex, a lot of things are controlled from the map script: https://github.com/christopho/zsdx/blob/master/data/maps/130.lua. The script of Ganon also controls dynamic tiles from the map (the falling floor), so it will probably not work if the expected dynamic tiles do not exist on the map. So this Ganon is very specific to ZSDX, I'm not sure it can be re-used directly, except if you want to reproduce the exact same fight.

I see it is much more than I can handle in the beginning of learning :) thank you for the responses. And Christopho I look forward to the rest of the tutorials!