Total Conversion?

Started by xilluzionsx, January 28, 2015, 01:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello everyone! I am new and eager to learn this engine! I have a team of 4 people (including me) trying to create a total conversion, as in not using any Zelda lore. I am the designated coder for the project and I have some questions about this engine. First off, I have never coded ( or scripted I guess) in LUA before. It seems simple enough just need to look at some literature, but I am used to coding in C++. So that is just a little background knowledge about me.

Anyways, onto my questions!!

My first question lies with creating a whole new character from just using the LUA scripting language. Can this be done? I have looked over the documentation the past few days and noticed the "Custom Entity" (class?). By using that I am assuming I can program literally a knew character and not use the Hero Entity (class?), am I correct?

Then my second question consists of creating an attack for the new custom hero. Would I go about just defining it as a "Custom Entity" or am I able to create functions that the custom hero would call upon?

I am just not used to LUA scripting and how everything is linked together, so I am just trying to wrap my head around it. Thanks for looking at my questions and I hope any of you guys can help me out! Also in the next coming weeks I'll post in the Projects thread of my progress. Again thanks!

xilluzionsx

Hi,
First, thanks for using Solarus!
The engine currently supports only one hero (playable character) with built-in actions, and a few things can be customized. Maybe this is enough for you, maybe not :)
If not, as discussed in another thread, it is theoretically possible to make a completely custom one. As a custom entity, yes. You would have to do everything in Lua: movements, collisions with obstacles, enemies, NPCs, etc.

Anyway, since you know C++ if will be very easy to learn Lua. I recommend the Programming in Lua book. The first edition of the book is freely available online at http://www.lua.org/pil/contents.html.

Thanks for the quick response man! Then what would you suggest to adding new functions of the hero class? Pretty much I would like to add magic spells, so would I make them in the Equipment Item class for the hero to select and then make a Custom Entity to display the spell on the map when being used?

Thanks!

If what you need is just adding magic spells, you don't have to change C++ code, this is doable in pure Lua. Create an equipment item in your quest and in the item script, make a custom entity corresponding to your magic effect, possibly with a special animation of the hero.

That is what I was thinking, haha. Sorry about calling it a class, as I don't know what to call them (functions?). Anyways yea that is what I had in mind, but just wasn't quite sure if that is the proper way of doing it in LUA. Thanks man for the clarification! I am really excited to start working on this! I'll post up a demo video for everyone in the community to see what I have done in the projects thread some time this week.

Again thanks a lot man!

xilluzionsx

Ok good :) Let's say "a Lua object" then :)

Looking forward to seeing that demo. 8)