Tileset for a world map

Started by Delenir, October 01, 2020, 05:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey everyone, long time fan, first time poster...

I was wondering if there has ever been a tileset or resource set to make a world map in Solarus? (In the sense of what you see in other RPGs like Final Fantasy on SNES for example, not talking about the overworld in Zelda games.) Or even if anyone has attempted such a thing by adding in some custom tiles?

If you have read this, thank you in advance, and keep on creating! :)

By saying tilesets, what you mean? You mean new tiles right?  ??? Like custom tiles of grass, walls, dirt, water and trees right? That have been done alot of times, but most of what is used in solarus games are original zelda tiles from zelda a link to the past and minish cap.

Max made ocean heart which is all custom tiles and I make custom tiles too in paint.net that i draw myself. Like these:

Lots of games on solarus have custom tiles. If you want you can get into pixel art yourself, there are lots of good guides on youtube. I prefer to draw in paint.net, but lots use gimp for drawing.

I think the question is about making a world map like this one using tiles in the map editor:

While doing such a thing is possible, it doesn't really work to render the map in-game because only one map can be active at a time (which is the map that the player is currently on). What you can do is create the map in the map editor then export it as an image and then use that image as the basis for the world map.

I think they're actually talking about like this attached image, like Final Fantasy or Zelda 2, where you walk around the overworld.

Nobody's made a tileset like that as far as I know yet, but it'd be really easy. There are tiles for what Llamazing posted, which would work to make the same thing I imagine

October 02, 2020, 08:38:07 AM #4 Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 09:27:17 AM by Dianthus
ahhh, i am bad at english too, but yeah i can sort of see it now :)

Yeah you can create those styles of maps in solarus i think.

thx for sounds advice max, btw!

Was picturing like the one in FF6, but the one like in LttP would be even more fitting I think, even if it meant just being able to select the area.

I like the sounds of your workaround of using an image. It would certainly suit the purpose I have in mind.

Dianthus what is your native language? In case we have one in common :)  (English, French, Japanese, and German here, in order of how well I know them...)

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Oh yeah! If your goal is to have the player actually leave the current map and go to an overworld map where they can move around, then you can actually implement it as a functional map using a different tileset. The only tricky part would be swapping out the hero sprites for ones that fit with the overworld look (if applicable), but isn't even that hard. And maybe you'd want to use a custom state that prevents the hero from attacking or doing other similar actions.

If your goal is to display a pause menu overworld map that can be viewed while the player is still present on any map, then exporting an image is probably the best bet.

October 02, 2020, 04:47:57 PM #7 Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 06:30:01 PM by Dianthus
I am from Denmark. I speak danish, some bad english even though I have had it in school for years and some terrible french.

I still dont think i understand what kind of map feature you want? Like you want a viewable map that player can select areas on?? Like the on breath of the wild where you can mark areas and stuff? those are pretty cool.

A Breath of the Wild map would be cool too, but what I was picturing in my mind was literally the Final Fantasy VI map show in the screenshot above, a world (as in globe, continent, etc.) map that the player can roam in.

I think your English sounds native level honestly! Je parle le français aussi! :) It's cool to be able to watch the Solarus tutorial videos in two languages because of that.