Outward separator problem with interaction

Started by Dianthus, August 06, 2020, 06:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
August 06, 2020, 06:56:44 PM Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:59:44 PM by Dianthus
Hi guys..!
I have a problem that i don't seem to know how to solve regarding separators in solarus. I have this overworld map where i want to do an outward corner with two separators.

Areas of the overworld are divided up with trees that the player is not meant to see over. It have worked for now with separators with inward corner areas, but now i want to do have an area with an outward corner cut out and it don't work with separators apparently?

Basically the interaction i want is that when the player goes around the outward corner the hero can only see downward on the screen when the hero is no longer on the horizontal separators area. What i got instead is two invisible separators that extend, so when the hero is near the outward corner it creates a horizontal and vertical separator that extends beyond their actual length rather than blocking the camera from moving down the horizontal or vertical corner until the hero is outside 416x240 view area of the outward separator corner. Idk that makes sense? 

Is it possible to do an outward corner cut like this into the map without this problem? I have seen the youtube video on separators by Christopho and the documentation blog. I don't have the same problem with the inward corner cuts you see. Is it a problem like with T shaped corners and doors?

Here is the specific area. The purple are the invisible separators. When the hero goes down the outward corner there are two invisible separator walls that split up the map like that.

Seems like you're essentially trying to create an L shaped area then, which you can't do with separators. Imagine you're walking along the north edge of the separator, headed east toward the purple arrow. As soon as you clear the separator, the camera would snap to out the hero in the middle of the screen. Also L shaped aren't supported, I think that's probably one reason why.

You could maybe make some kinda system where you use other entities to control the camera's movement, and have the camera move more slowly, but it sounds pretty tricky.

By the way I like the changes you make to the trees and stuff, looks good : )

August 09, 2020, 02:47:08 PM #2 Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 12:02:31 AM by Dianthus
Thx.. I worked alot on my rustic-cartoon style : )

Sry for slow reponse. I am testing some technical stuff regarding doing L-shaped corners. I will be back with a response in a week or two! There should be some way of doing this, cause i have seen 3d games doing this kind of stuff with camera movement.

August 13, 2020, 12:08:53 PM #3 Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 11:40:28 PM by Dianthus
Okay.. So apparently the way the engine thing works is that i can only have a L-shaped outward corner if the hero can not be within the view area of it? I tried adding a 416:240 mountain around the corner so hero cant get in contact with separators and it does solve the problem, as the snap thing the separators course when the hero goes down the other separator cant be on screen.

I guess i need to have a lot of weird mountains on my map i guess xD. I probably need to find another solution of some sort.

Edit: I have given up trying to find some solution for it for now. My guess is when i get to the programming part of my game (I am currrently learning Lua), I will find some solution for it.

Hi, for me the most obvious way to solve this would be to split the map into smaller areas and use side of map transporters to link them together  :)

August 27, 2020, 02:57:55 PM #5 Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 03:05:50 PM by Dianthus
Hi Peter, I have considered that, the problem basically is that my map of 640x576 basically is build around mutiple map areas thare not totally square, I for example have a castle town in the middle of the field hub of my map, which adds four L shaped corners, so I need to find some way to do non-square map areas.

Besides with the current progress of my project i wont be finished in like 4-5 years, so lets see if I ever get to actually deal with it  :D

I know what you mean, i have been doing ALTTP remake for a few years now!!

All the maps are done, enemies about 70% complete, just trying to learn lua and scripting now to sort out interactions with NPC's, objects etc.

Just had a thought on this, if you don't want the player to see the area you may be able to blank/fade out the area with MetalZeldas script.

http://forum.solarus-games.org/index.php/topic,1130.msg6593.html#msg6593

Peter

January 13, 2021, 01:40:16 PM #8 Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 03:08:36 PM by Dianthus
Thx for the message. I am gonna check out as soon as got some time for it. It is basically what I am looking for with the castle town in the middle of the map.

Though I am still horrible at programming though. I am gonna look it - hopefully i will understand it at some point :D