A very serious question - what kind hair is best for my hero?

Started by Dianthus, June 19, 2020, 10:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi guys i just used +10 hours now on trying to design my hero's hair. Basically given up with which one i think is best... Here is the ones i have reduced it down to:

Guys which type of hair do you think that are best for my hero, Coral? I am just gonna use which ever design most people like.. only solution i have at this point - cant get myself to choose and stick with it..  :)

My hero is inspired by the stop-motion movie Coraline, which features the character Coral(ine) with blue hair in a yellow rain suit..

Love that movie. One furthest to the right reads most clearly to me but you have two different perspectives for these. 2 and 4 are from a lower camera angle than 1, 3, and 5. So what angle are you other assets drawn from?

Yeah i noticed that now with 2 and 4. I didn't intend to do others angles by doing that, it was more meant to be different heights.

Dammit, i actually like the first one the most now - the hair looks more like coralines hair with the split in the middle. Gonna come up with some middle thing between the two.

I honestly dont know what angle my pixel art is drawn from, i have tried placing some of my furniture in a room with my wall textures and the angles looks off, so I had to increase the size of the top of my cabins to "fit" the walls - it still looks off though. So i am probably doing something wrong. I have just followed the style in minish cap. My trees looks weird too with some looking "flat" and more from top and more from side than others. The number 4 tree looks totally flat on top, and angles on side are off, but i cant fix it somehow and number 3 is way too down in camera angle.  :P

Go with what you like then!
I tend to draw a bit of a lower angle than Zelda- it seems like those first two trees are based of my art? Which is a tad closer to side view than the conifer, which I think is based on Minish Cap, as is more top view. I'd roughly guess (if 0⁰ is like, super Mario, totally side view), those first trees the camera is like 45⁰ up and the third is like 60⁰ up?

But then there's lots of exceptions. Google "link between worlds perspective" and you can see how they had to make things kinda lean back to make sense. It's kind of a mess and you gotta feel it out. But if you're starting, a good note is that you can see a lot more of the top surface of objects than you'd expect.

It's helpful to think in ratios. For example, if drawing a box. 45⁰ angle, the ratio of how big the top surface is to the side is about 1:1. Normal Zelda stuff, the perspective of stuff is like 2:1 top: side, whereas like old final fantasy games seemed more like 1:2 top:side.

Idk if that makes sense or helps?

The first tree I tried drew based on some of the style used in children of solarus mixed with how the trees in links awakening are done, but yeah the second i tried using the side angle style and those "rhombus" style leaves from i think your redpine forest (the trees to the right in the tileset), mixed with my first tree. 3 and 4 i tried drawing like styles used in final fantasy, and that cancelled midora game, but i tried to follow yours and children of solarus style with the angle of them, by shifting to darker colours in around same sized circles, though that did not result in similar looking angles. I am generally just messing around with stuff for testing.

Yeah it somewhat makes sense, apparently i have drawn all my furniture wrong, which are like 1:2 top: side.

Idk I would say I have even "started", as its going now its only like 15%-20% of the stuff i have drawn that i find fit for any use. Anyway thx for the help, probably wont be the last time with how this is going.

froggy77: that looks better! but it still looks too "flat" on the sides. I am gonna try redrawing it.

Quote from: froggy77 on June 24, 2020, 09:10:57 PM
I edited to show what I would do.

I like this option. Did you finish already drawing all your heroes?

Yeah I have pretty much settled down on a hero design. I am going with style that max found the easiest to read. The project is slowly moving ahead and I went with the changes to tree colours similar to what you guys talked about. If everything goes well I can show some early game play screenshots in like 8-9 months  :P