A new member joins the fray!

Started by Jeroen_Sol, May 27, 2019, 01:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello everyone!

I am Jeroen_Sol. I come from the faraway land of rpgmaker.net because I realized one of my pet projects (will probably make a post about that in the near future) needed an engine more suited to Action Adventure games. So I've started to (try to) remake it in Solarus. I'm already very excited just dabbling in the engine! The movement is great, and I'm loving the small 8x8 grid for tiles much more than RPGmaker's 32x32 tiles.

I haven't ever dabbled in lua before, so I'm sure I'll have lots of questions about both lua and the editor in general. Where would I go with questions about those? I noticed you have a Discord server. Would that be the place?

Excited to meet you all!

Nice to meet you too, and welcome to the Solarus forums!

I have an account at rpgmaker.net too, and I'm glad there's more people from the RPG Maker community who know about Solarus!

Hi!

I found out about the existence of Solarus from a user called kory_toombs. Perhaps you know him?

I think he's one of the "big names" in the RPGM community? I'm not sure, since I haven't been around in those forums for a while.

Some good resources for learning lua:
Programming in Lua (first edition) - Free electronic book, good for beginners to lua
Lua Reference Manual (lua version used by Solarus is 5.1) - Reference for standard lua functions
lua-users tutorials - Gives examples of using standard lua functions

Hello and welcome! We also have a Discord  ;)

Yes, I've joined it already. People have been very helpful, and I'm excited to learn more about this engine and finally turn my pet project into the game it was meant to be!