[Solved] Struggle with hyrule castle tileset

Started by Phygelius, October 20, 2018, 11:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
October 20, 2018, 11:09:17 AM Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 05:53:32 PM by Phygelius
Hey there =)
I have some problems with the castle tileset, because I can't fill the edges and can't connect the gate to the wall...
Are these tiles missing or is there a trick that I'm missing? ;)

Some tiles need to overlap to make it work. Open an existing project like Zelda Mystery of Solarus DX to see how I did it.

Okay, thank you for your reply =)
Where can I find the quest data? I downloaded the full game, but I can't open it in the editor...
I managed to fix the gaps with new tiles, but I think it would be much better with overlapping tiles ;)

Quote from: Phygelius on October 20, 2018, 02:00:08 PM
Okay, thank you for your reply =)
Where can I find the quest data? I downloaded the full game, but I can't open it in the editor...
I managed to fix the gaps with new tiles, but I think it would be much better with overlapping tiles ;)

Direct download for latest version: https://gitlab.com/solarus-games/zsdx/-/archive/zsdx-1.11.0/zsdx-zsdx-1.11.0.zip

Repo is here: https://gitlab.com/solarus-games/zsdx
RIP Aaron Swartz

Thank you, but I still think that there are tiles missing, because overlapping is not working  ::)
You have to create new tiles if you want to rebuild the castle correctly. Good that its so easy with Solarus :D

Did you look at some finished castle map in the fangames of the website? You may find good examples there.
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

Actually, look at Zelda ROTH SE, I think there is the configuration you are looking for.

November 02, 2018, 12:07:05 AM #7 Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 12:12:08 AM by PeterB
Hi Phygelius,

Is this what you are looking to create, or am I missing something?

I find it is all about using T and B to get them looking right on top of each other so you mask the bits you don't want from the tile below!

Thank you all for your replies =)
It's just a couple of pixels that are missing and I'm happy with my results, using these new tiles.

Here is a new picture that hopefully explains it more precise... the wall on the left side is built by using new tiles and the wall on the right is built by overlapping tiles.
The first thing that happens when you overlap tiles is that there are three pinnacles instead of two (blue circle). Second is that there are some pixels cut off the edge so that the corners are not so smooth (red circle). Third, there is missing a tile without pinnacles (green rectangle). That might be not a problem for anybody at all, but sometimes I'm a little perfectionist... sorry for that :)

Btw: Another thing I wonder about is the difference in the color brightness. Is there a reason why the colors of the solarus tileset are so much brighter than the original tileset colors (compare with the last picture I uploaded)? Concerning Nintendo copyrights, maybe?

November 04, 2018, 08:29:05 PM #9 Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:09:03 PM by PeterB
I have noticed the brightness difference too when adding missing tiles to the tilesets.

In order to match colours I have been altering the brightness of any imported tiles (from screenshots) by -20 in GIMP in order to get them looking roughly the same.

It is a dirty work around but seems to look ok.

I think that it was because they used the palette from the european version, which I think is a bit different. But I am not sure.
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."