Oracle of Seasons Tileset

Started by Katsu, January 15, 2019, 09:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
January 15, 2019, 09:14:35 PM Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 11:24:04 PM by Katsu

Hello! Some time ago I had started (and promptly abandoned) a project in solarus using tiles from the Zelda Game Boy Color games, and since I don't plan on continuing said project, I figured making the tileset I used public is better than letting it collect metaphorical dust. It's a little crammed because I don't like having much empty space, so I'm sorry if it looks a little messy.

It's mainly Oracle of Seasons tiles because I originally wanted to have the option to change seasons (even if I didn't need that for my game); there's still a few (recolored) Link's Awakening and Oracle of Ages tiles in it, like a few dungeon entrances. Originally I made three palette versions (normal overworld, inside lost woods, and the graveyard) but I recently rearranged some of the tiles in the basic overworld one so the other two aren't up to date, and I'm not sure if there's still some rearrangement or tiles I need to do, so I'll leave them at that for a while.

The original plan was to actually try and make a Game Boy Color Zelda resource pack but... as of now I only have two tilesets (Overworld-Spring and Inside Houses), about three different item files that I need to clean up, not properly cut music, I don't even have a single npc sprite because I was using ocs... Sooo I kinda gave up on that and that brings us to just the tileset. Yay.

(Overworld Spring with Entities)

(Inside Houses)

dowload
*scratches head*

Aw that's kinda sad for your project, but thank you for the tileset rips. These might come in handy

Yo, so recently I finally went around and continued working on the Oracle tilesets. Kind of weird because I actually wanted to do an old tileset I made last year, but as soon as I opened Solarus I just immediately went back to this project.

I renamed a few tiles that had still leftover names from the first iteration of the tileset (which I had accidentally split up into 'normal' and 'forest' even though the whole point was to make the palette swaps per tileset and not internally) so if you've started using this tilseset already to build maps... oops. Don't worry I also inflicted this on myself and needed to fix all my maps twice already and a third time is inevitable

This time I actually copied the whole folders (minus things leftover from the alttp pack and custom sprites for my project [which means there is an npc folder. With just Subrosians in it.]) so it's not just two tilesets. I manually did copy the music though because a lot of the tracks I have aren't really loop-able, and even though not all of the pieces included in this pack are cut perfectly, I felt like it'd be nice to have some sort of starter tracks.

Summa summarum, there's now twelve overworld tilesets in total, two for the inside of Houses (regular and the Hall of Secrets palette), one 'tile collection' for building Onox' Fortress and I included tiles for building Ambi's castle for good measure (they are as-is from Ages though, so the palette might not fit). Then there's the updated entity files with background so that the underlying tile doesn't show through while it's on the ground. Also I went crazy and recolored the two sorts of flowers into five different colors from the palette. I doubt you'll need any of them except for the default pink and the blue one, maybe.

Speaking of recolors, I've completed the spritesheet of items from Link's Awakening and the Oracle games, all of them recolored in the 6 palettes Oracle uses for its item sprites. I've only set up a fraction of them in the entities/item file because well... lots of sprites but who says everyone needs all of them?

Additionally to the outside and inside store maps, there's now also a dungeon_entry map with the dungeon entries from Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages and Link's Awakening rebuilt. Actually I'm starting to wonder now why I bothered with those, you could just google screenshots of the real deal and use those as reference smh

Oh and I included the font I use. And I copied my hub folder, even though I'm not sure how much of that one I'm actually even using.

(Sample maps I actually screenshotted a while ago but didn't include last time because the reworked Forest and Graveyard sets weren't finished yet)

(Preview of the Spring Overworld tileset+entities file)
dowload

*scratches head*

That's really cool. I've been exploring the Solarus community and I keep thinking that it needs more resource packs. I've been working on putting together some Secret of Mana resources in my free time, but progress is slow. I'd be interested to help with this if you want to expand it to a more complete resource pack - I could help with adding NPCs, for instance.

Quote from: CopperKatana on July 04, 2019, 08:01:08 PM
That's really cool. I've been exploring the Solarus community and I keep thinking that it needs more resource packs. I've been working on putting together some Secret of Mana resources in my free time, but progress is slow. I'd be interested to help with this if you want to expand it to a more complete resource pack - I could help with adding NPCs, for instance.

ooops sorry for replying so late, I always forget to check my account here
I feel you on solarus needing more resource packs, it's the reason I originally planned to do an actual resource pack for the gbc zelda games and I did think about starting converting Minish Cap tiles as well, but anytime I opened up a map I already felt exhausted just looking at it lol; I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew so I'm not declaring it an actual resource pack project. Yet.

My progress is also slow, but that's mostly because I keep losing motivation to do stuff or plain forget I had wanted to do stuff. Like, I think my dungeon tilesets just need some tile recoloring and I could already start on setting them/one up for solarus, but I haven't really looked at them for a long time so I'm not actually sure. And I think I wanted to tackle monsters after that, though I don't really know if I need to keep anything in mind when setting up their sprites, because I haven't even looked at how to code them I think.

I don't think I'm gonna let you do npcs though, they are way too easy to do XD I mean, aside from those that need more than just the normal standing/walking sprites, I can just position the normal npc sprites over my npc file and rename it. Same goes for the Link sprite, I just need to position him above my current hero file. Although the file might need some clean-up, and after that some sprites I forego for my original heroine (e.g. add shovel-using sprite)

Ah, I might as well take the time and actually drop the different npc files I do have, stitched together, for visual help of what I 'technically' have.

Aside from those... hm, I think I need to do like an inspection of what other resources still need to be done. I haven't done any effects yet (e.g. explosions, fire; I do have walking on grass and shallow water tho) and am still missing the sword-hitting-wall animation, then there's the incomplete music but I don't really know how to go about that; actually I think I don't have the proper sounds either, I'm just using those from the alttp pack. Then there's all the enemies to import, and the Subrosia tileset I've been dreading because I just don't understand how the lava animation works (and idk how to do/set up the moving eyes of the sword&shield dungeon entry either)... ahaha I already am starting to feel a little lost-

in the end it just comes down to motivation and I don't think I have enough atm to actually do some significant work on this, aside from like updating the doors at some point (yea I actually changed their position and added the revolving animation of the one-way door from Link's Awakening, just to lazy to zip and upload) and doing the npcs

Ah, and sorry I guess for finding out I'm actually this lazy to continue work on this currently, I should be ashamed that I provide resources and don't even keep them up-to-date ^^;
*scratches head*

I see the resource pack got added to the website! Cool stuff! I've just been looking around for projects to help with - currently I'm doing some work on Maloney's Zelda 1 resource pack. If you'd like help with anything in particular, like doing the inspection of needed resources, I'd be happy to do what I can. I will admit I'm not much of an artist, and maybe that's more what you're looking for, but I'd love to help get this pack going. You can send me a DM or add me on Discord if you'd like to discuss it further.

I would love to help with music and sound. It shouldn't be hard for me to get the original audio from the game, but if there's any custom audio or music you'd like, I can try my hand at those too. We're all definitely excited for this project!

August 20, 2019, 09:47:50 PM #8 Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 09:08:53 AM by Katsu
Quote from: CopperKatana on August 16, 2019, 05:02:11 AM
I see the resource pack got added to the website! Cool stuff! I've just been looking around for projects to help with - currently I'm doing some work on Maloney's Zelda 1 resource pack. If you'd like help with anything in particular, like doing the inspection of needed resources, I'd be happy to do what I can. I will admit I'm not much of an artist, and maybe that's more what you're looking for, but I'd love to help get this pack going. You can send me a DM or add me on Discord if you'd like to discuss it further.

Oh! I didn't even see that it got added, I went right ahead to the forums, lol. My heart skipped a beat seeing my humble tilesets on the page. I feel a little concerned though about the fact that one could only really recreate 1 of the screenshots listed there (minus npcs of course) but when I wanted to work on it I just distracted myself and added the Underwater tiles from Oracle of Ages recolored instead lmao
I don't really know yet how much time I can actually put into the pack right now, because I just started vocational training so sorry if updates will be a little sparse!
I wasn't really out looking for help because I just assumed people wouldn't really care that much, so like. I have no idea. A little planless, I might say. Maybe also because I tell myself I need to do one thing and then end up doing something else. So well. If you want to do an inspection of what's all missing so far, you can do that if you want. I'ma just gonna. Update my other tilesets with the new additions, set up the new tiles, do the dungeon tilesets and hopefully remember to at least overlay Link's sprites over my heroine, so it's possible to actually play as Link when downloading the pack. Or something.

Quote from: Maloney on August 16, 2019, 07:58:52 AM
I would love to help with music and sound. It shouldn't be hard for me to get the original audio from the game, but if there's any custom audio or music you'd like, I can try my hand at those too. We're all definitely excited for this project!
Woah, that sounds really cool! I only dled the music from... somewhere and tried to somewhat cut it into loopable shape, but alas that didn't really work out that well. Custom audio sounds great, but I think at the 'start' it seems more important to have the basics of the original Oracle games/Link's Awakening than actually going to other pieces. I do appreciate the offer, though.

Because if the slow progress I'm also considering already updating the zip file, so like with the revolving door from Link's Awakening, extra tiles on the basic spring tileset (recolors and zora town tiles), houses being grouped into an 'inside' folder along with the cave and correct water animation for houses/caves. But that stuff kinda also seems rather insignificant. I'm a little impatient, I guess.

Edit 2019/09/29: I've bought Link's Awakening for the Switch a few days ago and felt motivated to do some work on the project again. I recolored my 'new' entity file (it now includes the gasha tree sequence) and wanted to finalize my dungeon files. I actually only added the last row of tiles from the Sword&Shield Maze and recolored the water for every palette, the rest was already done. But I never actually posted them so let me just drop them here.

I still need to do their entity files, which means I need to sift through my proto-entity-sprite-collection to see what palettes to use for which dungeon, but after that it's just setting up the tilesets in Solarus (which isn't even much; I just need to copy the cave set really and see where it needs modification, after that it's just copy&paste for these.)

Also I didn't post about it because at the time I assumed I'd have the motivation to do the 'real' update later, but I've added Link as a sprite as well as the cave tileset at the beginning of September. (Wait... do you guys already know about the underwater and link's awakening tiles being there or not? I forgot if they're a new thing for you or not.) [The 'real' update would have been the dungeons finally being in there, but as you can see they are taking a little longer.]

I btw updated the spring overworld tiles+entities preview so you can see what it looks like at the moment (and it's all recolored for all seasons and houses already). I'll see if I'll rebundle my zip with these files first or if I'll be able to combine their update with the dungeon tilesets. Ah and there are some tiles from the Temple of Seasons I added to the House/Secret Hall tilesets that I need to set up- as well as the waterfall that I need to sort through and only have in screenshots atm

Honestly I just hope I'm not exhausted and wasting away my time after work and instead make actual progress. There's so little left (and there has been so little left to do for the past months!) it's laughable how long this is taking.

Edit 2020/02/22: Aye, back to not necroing this thread! So actually I put together npc sprite files in December but setting them up was so tedious that I had stopped not even halfway through. I only did the three oracles, gorons, regular zoras (no king or elderly, tho I think I'm missing a sprite of the old Zora. Gotta check that at some point), tokays, pirate skeletons and like 4 animals. I think I rage-quitted thinking "people can set the sprites up themselves! Why should I bother with this when I don't even need these sprites!!!" but well. tbh Idk why solarus even got on my mind yesterday, my brother had told me about his dungeon concepts a month ago.

Anyway look at all these spritesheets I did around Christmas! Oh I think I actually wanted to finish the npcs as a christmas gift-

(as you might be able to guess from their weird positioning, the left part is composed of multiple different spritesheets. also yes, there's no Zelda, I forgot about her. Marin is also missing but easy to do because of the oc npcs I had before one just uses Marin's sprites as her base, so it'd be quick to do.)

Dunno how long my current motivation can power me through setting up more of the npcs though. And the main reason why I wanted to touch up this was to make dungeons, so I should actually focus on something else there rofl.

Oh and while I'm at it, here's what that Link file looks like; can't believe I never posted it as well;

[recolors will happen when I'm 100% sure I have everything I need sorted properly on this spritesheet]
(I also have him do the spin attack on a separate file [which even has the 6 recolors] but am too lazy to merge those together. Or add the sword file. Or the walk on grass effect, water plunging and whatnot that I had already done for my original heroine.)
*scratches head*

Hello there

I almost finished tileset about oracles of ages & seasons

Here's some models (Got all version, present, past, Ambi palace, graveyard for ages, subrosia, all seasons with graveyard and tarm version !)

The others are done but I wont upload so many pictures, haha.

I am mainly active on discord server, don't hesitate pinging or DM here.
(PS : sorry for bad english)

Very good job! I love when there are also custom stuffs.
You'd better host the pictures directly on the forum.

@Katsu: Your 'dow(n)load' link is dead.

Thanks man !

I can't, too heavy files...

Here's the github link : https://github.com/Zunashy/GameboyRessourcePack/

I did some changes ! (Nearly restarted the project)
Here's the new spring tilesets (basic and dark)
I also started to create contours

Here's the git Link : https://github.com/Zunashy/GameboyRessourcePack/

Great! Should we update the link on the website to your Github repository? (See "Link" in the right panel https://www.solarus-games.org/en/development/resource-packs/the-legend-of-zelda-oracles)