Installing in Ubuntu

Started by bonez001, October 21, 2018, 09:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello everyone. Its kinda hard to find straight forward directions for installing solarus and the editor in ubuntu 16.04. ANyone there who can help me?

October 31, 2018, 11:22:07 PM #1 Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 11:23:31 AM by PeterB
Hey bonez001, I installed 1.60 in Lubuntu the other day.

Before you install the editor you need to install the following.

libsdl2-dev libsdl2-image-dev libsdl2-ttf-dev libluajit-5.1-dev libphysfs-dev libopenal-dev libmodplug-dev libvorbis-dev qtbase5-dev qttools5-dev qttools5-dev-tools libglm-dev

Either use apt-get install or use Synaptic, which is what I did, finding each file and installing it. Using Synaptic allowed me to check if I had them and if they needed updating.

Download the engine from https://gitlab.com/solarus-games/solarus.

Click on the little cloud icon next to 'find file'. Extract the files, I put mine on the desktop, in the created folder create a new folder called build, go into it and open a terminal. I just did a right click on the build folder and selected 'Open in Terminal'

type 'cmake ..'

then type 'sudo make' and put in your sudo password.

Once this is complete type 'sudo make install' to complete the install

There should be a shortcut in your programme menus if everything goes ok. Mine appeared after I rebooted.

For the editor download 1.60 from here - https://gitlab.com/solarus-games/solarus-quest-editor and follow the same process except you don't need to do the sudo make install.

This should install the editor.

You can run it by typing ./solarus-quest-editor in a terminal or by adding a short cut to your desktop, pointing it to the executable (solarus-quest-editor) in the location where you installed it.

Any problems let me know.

***Updated to install in the right order**

That's correct PeterB but Solarus needs to be installed before Solarus Quest Editor (because Solarus Quest Editor needs Solarus).
Note that you are talking about installing the development version: 1.6, which is not released yet. Do this at your own risk :) Unless you need a development version for a specific reason, you should normally installed the latest stable release.