Stealth Action Adventure Game Possible?

Started by Saeion, July 19, 2018, 11:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi! New Here!

I heard about this Engine from itch.io via a recommendation. I m interested in making a Stealth Action Game akin to the Old Metal Gear Games, I m wondering if such game is possible with this Engine?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Yes, there is huge flexibility in what you can accomplish through the use of lua scripting, but the downside is you'll have to write some custom scripts to do so because to the best of my knowledge no one else has done something like that yet. Shouldn't be too difficult, though, depending on how ambitious you want to be.

Glad to hear it! Any resource recommendation to get an idea how Lua Scripting works? (especially for this engine)

If you learn best by doing, download maybe the Zelda resource pack or the open source one (not sure how complete that is) and try making something like the intro pre-dungeons that Zelda has (Link to the Past's sewers, for example). Get the code to someone else's game (if they're on this forum, they'll probably help you understand it for references so you can learn stuff like making doors that open when you kill enemies, how switches and timers work, etc.

That's how I'd start, at least. And any specific questions you have, just ask on here, somebody usually can help you pretty quickly. Welcome to the forum : D

Will do! That will definitely help me get the basics down at least and get an understanding on how lua works

You need to learn Lua, but also read carefully the Lua API of Solarus (there you have all the tools you need nicely explained). And of course, read others' scripts (as examples) and study their code, and make a lot of tests.
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."