Music transitions (Fading in/out)

Started by ChampionLeake, June 09, 2018, 09:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I currently trying to explore a way to make the bgm fade in/out when I'm switching in a transition from a map to a new area. As the screen fades out (as a transition), I want the music to slowly fade out as well. Same thing when I'm entering a new map where I want the  bgm to fade in.

Is there a way to get started with that? I've been looking around for some scripts.

Exercise: code it yourself. (Hint: use timers to change the volume in a smooth way.)
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

You should probably know before you try coding though, I don't think Solarus has two tracks for music, so crossfading would (as far as I can tell) be impossible, since playing a new track automatically overwrites the current track. I'd recommend a quicker fade so there isn't much silence. Or embrace the silence and compose tracks like Breath of the Wild's.

Something else I thought of- there's a few games I've played (Metroid, Hollow Knight) that when transitioning between areas, have a room with no music. The rooms also visually transition between the spaces, and you could use map:on_started() in the transition room to get the music that was playing from a savegame variable, and fade it out, then in the first room of each area use map:on_opening_transition_finished to fade in music that you start silently on map:on_started.