Zelda's Adventure: Solarus Edition

Started by CrookiNari, April 24, 2018, 11:27:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
June 14, 2018, 02:33:00 PM #60 Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 02:36:01 PM by PhoenixII54
i think the final problem in your script is that you didn't add the parenthesis around the path data table, and as a consequence the movement:set_path function is not called, resulting in the movement path to not be set at all (note : each path direction is numbered from 0 (east) to 7 (south-east), using the trigonometric rotation (or if you prefer the anti-clockwise rotation))

PS : as max said, using [code= lua]  at start of your code is helpful indeed

Nope, the origin is exactly the same on all of them and the guy is set to be a "somebody". And I tried using that path direction setting, it just resulted in the illegal direction error.

June 14, 2018, 04:21:26 PM #62 Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:39:46 PM by PhoenixII54
i tried using your script on my own test map, and it worked perfectly*. The only warning for you is that the movement will stop if your NPC reaches an obstacle. And i have to correct myself : the parenthesis are actually optionnal for a function call with a raw table data for only argument.

*using an already fully configured sprite (ALTTP Zelda)

PS, that means something is likely wrong on your sprite data, and of course your path is wrong : for a back-and-forth movement, you should use opposite directions, (0+4,1+5, 2+6 or 3+7).

Ok, I've finally got it working :) So I can put this issue to bed.

This is my current to-do list, in no particular order. Obviously as I continue to progress through the mapping and whatnot I'll find more things that will need to be addressed.

To do list:
1.   Finish writing game dialog
2.   Finish Zelda's sprites
3.   Add title screen
4.   Finish mapping overworld and dungeons
5.   Make it so you can't exit Vision Henge without the sword and shield
6.   Find places to hide heart pieces
7.   Implement inventory screen
8.   Implement saving
9.   Program bosses
10.   Fix behaviour of Tektites, Leevers, Peahats and Geldman (this entry may expand as future problems arise)
11.   Shrine of Earth
a.   Cc07- make chest spawn
b.   Same goes for rooms containing Taros
c.   Implement boss
d.   Implement entry dialog
e.   Implement dark rooms
12.   Chest spawning in Vision Henge centre east and ad24
13.   Enable quests for hungry and thirsty ladies
14.   Witch encounter to generate enemies
15.   Proper implementation of shop items in Ogbam Forest and Inn

That's all I've got to say for now. I'll update my GitHub a little later, but I feel like updates aren't going to be as frequent as before.

I love that this project exists and I truly hope you complete it. I'm doing something similar in remaking Zelda 2 so I know the struggle of translating 2d to top down (and making a github was a really damn good idea, wtf is wrong with me) but if I can offer any support in future i'll be sure to let you know <3"

I REALLY wanna play this haha

QuoteI love that this project exists and I truly hope you complete it. I'm doing something similar in remaking Zelda 2 so I know the struggle of translating 2d to top down (and making a github was a really damn good idea, wtf is wrong with me) but if I can offer any support in future i'll be sure to let you know <3"

Hello there! I'm glad to hear that! I'm not actively working on it at the moment as my attention has been drawn towards other non-game related projects but I do intend to complete it at some point. Zelda's Adventure was a damn good idea that suffered at the hands of poor game developers and console limitations, so translating it into a real Zelda-like game is the most merciful thing anybody could do. Hell, I know that if I wasn't the one working on this project I myself would want to play this game.

If you have any assistance you'd want to offer, I'm always open! And if you do want to play what's there so far, you can download the files from the GitHub and open them in Solarus.

Quote from: CrookiNari on September 02, 2018, 04:09:05 AM
QuoteI love that this project exists and I truly hope you complete it. I'm doing something similar in remaking Zelda 2 so I know the struggle of translating 2d to top down (and making a github was a really damn good idea, wtf is wrong with me) but if I can offer any support in future i'll be sure to let you know <3"

Hello there! I'm glad to hear that! I'm not actively working on it at the moment as my attention has been drawn towards other non-game related projects but I do intend to complete it at some point. Zelda's Adventure was a damn good idea that suffered at the hands of poor game developers and console limitations, so translating it into a real Zelda-like game is the most merciful thing anybody could do. Hell, I know that if I wasn't the one working on this project I myself would want to play this game.

If you have any assistance you'd want to offer, I'm always open! And if you do want to play what's there so far, you can download the files from the GitHub and open them in Solarus.

Lol this is exactly how I feel about my project. Sadly for the most part i'm a mapper before anything else. Mediocre at best at everything else but once i'm back into my own project in a few weeks I might have some time I could put towards collaborating with you on your project. I'll be adding my project on Github like you did as its just a really good idea so coders and the Solarus staff have easy access when you're asking for help on things. Both our projects are fairly ambitious but not impossible. But like you i'm a multi-tasker and various projects go on hiatus here and there. That's the way it goes I guess.

Still when we've finished our projects and have a shred of credibility some of the more seasoned content creators may feel more inclined to team up and collaborate together. That's how shit gets done. I mean it's not like we could charge anyone for any of these projects so its just made with love and the only expectation is for other to enjoy it <3

I would avoid advertising it though outside of these forums til its at least at v1.0 lest you get DMCA'd. At least that way it sees a release =)

lol like I would be promoting this thing widely what with Nintendo bringing down the banhammer on whatever it can lately, even though it didn't originally make Zelda's Adventure.
I know that there are probably some maps I've made that could look better in case you want something in particular to look at, especially ones with cliffs and stuff. It would also be good to know whether the way maps look is reasonably natural looking, as I tried to spread out rock and grass tiles randomly but equally.
And perhaps I could lend my assistance to you as well. Don't know what I could be useful with but I may as well since you've offered to help me. Maybe if there's some spritework you need done I could do that.

July 21, 2020, 11:54:08 AM #69 Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 06:51:43 AM by CrookiNari
Hello again! It's been a while but I've still been working on this...very slowly and periodically. I'm looking for people who can help me out on the project, whether you prefer to be paid or a volunteer. I'll put you in the credits either way.

What I need:
- people who know how to use GitHub and can teach me how to make it more than simply online storage
- mappers to look at what I've made so far and see whether any improvements need to be made to how the tiles and objects are arranged
- pixel artists to improve my custom sprites
- programmers to implement scripts that make it more like a game (like adding functioning puzzles and menus)
- quest/dungeon designers to add more stuff to do, like sidequests and such. This would mainly involve brainstorming with me on this.
- a musician who can arrange the main theme in the ALTTP soundfont and implement custom music (I can provide all these assets)

I've currently mapped out about a quarter of the overworld, created templates for all the dungeons and written the dialogue up to Wimbich Village (just after the first dungeon). So there's still a long way to go, and I recognise I'm not going to get there without help. So if you can contribute to any of the above roles, please let me know!

I can help with the scripting. A bit directly but also I'm working on a library (Lua Nova on GitLab) that might let you do some of the puzzles easier.