Zelda's Adventure: Solarus Edition

Started by CrookiNari, April 24, 2018, 11:27:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
My first test NPC's dialog goes:

Oh, hello Princess! Didn't see you there!
Are you having a nice day?
  $? Yes
  $? No

Yes is "That's good!"
No is "Oh, pity."

The strange thing is, when I first did it, it worked fine. After moving the map into a different folder, it stopped working. There's nothing else wrong with the script, it doesn't throw out any errors or anything, it just doesn't give the proper response.

I'll address the second NPC when I get the first one working.

Quote from: llamazing on May 04, 2018, 05:08:23 AM
I don't see any other problems with the code excerpts you posted on the forum. I'm not going to be able to help you without seeing your map script, dialogs.dat, and probably whatever script is giving you problems when saving.

I downloaded your quest from github but there aren't any maps so it must not be the latest.

Really? My bad, I'll put them in.

Quote from: CrookiNari on May 04, 2018, 05:16:16 AM
The strange thing is, when I first did it, it worked fine. After moving the map into a different folder, it stopped working. There's nothing else wrong with the script, it doesn't throw out any errors or anything, it just doesn't give the proper response.

One thing I noticed looking at your github is that your maps seem to be organized really different from mine. In my "data" folder, I have a "maps" folder (also "enemies", "entities", "fonts", etc...), and every map is in there. It seems like yours are in folders scattered throughout your "data" folder? I don't know how the engine reads maps, but I'm pretty sure when I specify a map in code, the engine assumes they're in a folder called "maps", because I don't think I usually specify that.

Quote from: Max on May 04, 2018, 06:05:39 AM
One thing I noticed looking at your github is that your maps seem to be organized really different from mine. In my "data" folder, I have a "maps" folder (also "enemies", "entities", "fonts", etc...), and every map is in there. It seems like yours are in folders scattered throughout your "data" folder? I don't know how the engine reads maps, but I'm pretty sure when I specify a map in code, the engine assumes they're in a folder called "maps", because I don't think I usually specify that.

Ah yeah, I guess I can understand the confusion. I left out some of the generic or empty folders under the assumption that anyone trying it out would have the ALttP resource pack and used that to fill in the gaps. I should probably organise it better.

In my actual folder, my maps are in subfolders under "maps". That's what it is. Welp, I'd better get fixing.

Ok, so I've fixed it to where it should be playable. Just two things:
- The first two folders, Shrine of Earth and Plain of Andor are duplicates of folders found under "maps", and I'm gradually in the process of deleting them so you can ignore them.
- Solarus usually has two folders named "enemies" and "entities". They're not present in my GitHub because they're empty, but this shouldn't stop the game from functioning.

Hope that helps folks!

Ok, I was able to download the update from GitHub and get it working now.

First of all, you were missing an end statement at line 25 of visionhenge5.lua.

I was also getting errors about missing sounds, so I copied over the sounds from the ALTTP pack to fix it.

Then finally, your real problem is that when you edit the lady NPC entity you have the action "Show a dialog: sample_text" selected. What you want is the "call the map script" option selected instead. Otherwise it does not use the on_interaction() part of your script.

Quote from: llamazing on May 04, 2018, 01:24:32 PM
First of all, you were missing an end statement at line 25 of visionhenge5.lua.

I was also getting errors about missing sounds, so I copied over the sounds from the ALTTP pack to fix it.

Then finally, your real problem is that when you edit the lady NPC entity you have the action "Show a dialog: sample_text" selected. What you want is the "call the map script" option selected instead. Otherwise it does not use the on_interaction() part of your script.

I thought that might have been an issue. It was giving me error messages but I wasn't sure what to do. Fixed that.

Whoops, must have overlooked that too. Fixed now.

Ok, what's the syntax look like for that? Like I said, I thought I followed the tutorial exactly but I must have misunderstood something somewhere.

Quote from: CrookiNari on May 04, 2018, 01:32:16 PMOk, what's the syntax look like for that? Like I said, I thought I followed the tutorial exactly but I must have misunderstood something somewhere.
Syntax for the last one? In the Solarus Quest Editor open the map and double-click on the lady entity and an edit dialog will open. Then select the correct radio button under "action".

Oh wow! It worked! I even managed to get the lady at AJ22 to work properly.

Thanks guys!

I'll post updates when the Forest of Ogbam is mapped and I want to try implementing more complex things, though I may need to play around in the Scripts Forum.

Hello all! I've completed the basic mapping for the southern part of Tolemac, including an entrance to the first dungeon (although in its current state you aren't able to explore it all the way through). So now my priority is to go back through the maps and pretty them up a bit with decorative tiles, bushes, stones and enemies in order to create a more dynamic experience. I also need to continue work on Zelda's sprites as she currently swings her sword the wrong way and doesn't have proper pushing, pulling or lifting animations. If you'd like to experience it for yourself, check out my GitHub:
https://github.com/CrookiNari/Zelda-s-Adventure
One thing I'm debating over is reshaping the river separating the Plain from the rest of the overworld. I did my best to try and replicate how it looked in the original game, but I'm not sure I like how it looks and can potentially interfere with moving between screens. So my thought is to simply make it nice and straight across with few curves whatsoever, but if it stays the way it is then it's no skin off my nose. Anybody who plays it, can you give me your thoughts on it?
Reference map: https://i.imgur.com/6seyD8Qr.jpg

So, here's my current to-do list:
- Create overworld+dungeon maps
- Implement all basic enemies
- Communicate with sprite artist about boss movements
- Make maps more dynamic with bushes, pots, weeds, enemies, stones etc.
- Write dialogue script
- Implement and test all items
- Work out what to do with mini-bosses
- Recruit quest designer to help with minor heart piece quests and mini games
- Recruit programmer to help with complex functions like chest generation and door puzzles
- Flesh out NPCs to enable better interactions and major trading sequence
- Recruit musician to remix title theme
- Complete hero sprite sheets
- Add NPC sprites

If you think you can help out with any of the above, do get in contact with me and we can chat about it.

I'm appreciating the feedback I'm getting so far!

May 18, 2018, 11:31:07 AM #26 Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:56:36 AM by PhoenixII54
Hello, i am playtesting your demo.
Some remark : the github repo is not recognized as a valid quest by the editor, had to manually make a "data" folder for it to work.

Anyway, here are the errors i found so far :

• NPC/signs that refer to dialogs that do not exist (yet) and trigger errors (by the way, you should never use spaces in dialog ids)
Error: No such dialog: 'sign.river source'
Error: No such dialog: 'moblin_inn.lady'
Error: No such dialog: 'moblin_inn.traveler'
Error: No such dialog: 'moblin_inn.patron'
Error: No such dialog: 'moblin_inn.innkeeper'
Error: No such dialog: 'sign.moblin inn'
Error: No such dialog: 'sign.forest of ogbam'

• the exit teletansporter of map 01. Shrine of Earth/ca07 is inaccessible

(to be edited)

Quote from: PhoenixII54 on May 18, 2018, 11:31:07 AM
Hello, i am playtesting your demo.
Some remark : the github repo is not recognized as a valid quest by the editor, had to manually make a "data" folder for it to work.
Hmm, I haven't had people say that yet, but I'll keep it in mind for when I next update it.

• most NPC/signs refer to dialogs that do not exist (yet) and trigger errors (by the way, you should never use spaces in dialog ids)
The comment about spaces is noted, but can you give examples of what you mean? I know that the forest merchant can't really sell stuff yet but I thought that the NPCs I'd implemented so far spoke like they should.

see my post above, i will update it with new errors ;)

• NPC/signs that refer to dialogs that do not exist (yet) and trigger errors (by the way, you should never use spaces in dialog ids)
Error: No such dialog: 'sign.river source'
Error: No such dialog: 'moblin_inn.lady'
Error: No such dialog: 'moblin_inn.traveler'
Error: No such dialog: 'moblin_inn.patron'
Error: No such dialog: 'moblin_inn.innkeeper'
Error: No such dialog: 'sign.moblin inn'
Error: No such dialog: 'sign.forest of ogbam'

• the exit teletansporter of map 01. Shrine of Earth/ca07 is inaccessible

The Shrine of Earth error is very probably some mapping error I can fix, and since I'll be going over that folder again eventually I'll probably fix it then. As for the dialog, I know they work on my computer so it's most likely a case of me forgetting to update the Language folder on my GitHub. This has now been fixed.