Shield Animations Reverse Direction for Sword Attacks

Started by Bagu, May 13, 2018, 07:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm in the process of creating a custom "tall" link sprite, and I'm running into a strange issue with shield animations. The shield's walking animations work fine, but durring sword attacks, the directions get reversed.

In other words, the shield plays the "down" animation during an upwards sword strike, and the "up" animation during a downwards sword strike. I believe Solarus is reversing the shield's left and right sword animations as well, though it's hard to tell since they appear to be clipping behind Link's body.

What could be causing this? You can see from the video that the animation frames and directions are set up just like any other situation.

https://youtu.be/t8LHJsMhSMs

(Please excuse the WIP art, the frames are very rough and I still have a lot of polishing to do.)

This is weird. Are you sure that your sprite file was correctly saved when you ran the project? I think that when you use the "up" direction on the hero, the shield appears with the "right" direction and not the "down" direction. Could you share a link to your project so that we can find the problem?
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

I confirm that this seems an engine bug. I will open an issue for this.
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

Thanks again for the help. I suppose there's probably ways I can work around the bug until it's eventually fixed.

Chris has fixed this for the dev version of Solarus. The fix will appear in the official version 1.6 of Solarus when it is released.