Trail of dust without walking

Started by Porksteak, November 11, 2017, 01:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Is there a way to make the trail of dust that appears when using the run ability to appear when just walking normal?

Ahoy there!

Quote from: Porksteak on November 11, 2017, 01:01:01 AM
Is there a way to make the trail of dust that appears when using the run ability to appear when just walking normal?

Of course!!! And at the same time, absolutely not!!!

-You have many tools to code that, including timers, menus (these have events), etc. So that is not a problem.
-If you want this feature to be used on ALL traversable tiles of certain maps (like the overworld), then it can be easily done. Just enable this feature on the maps that should allow this. (I leave this as a coding exercise for you.)
-If you want this feature to be used on ALL traversable tiles of ALL maps, then just modify the walking animation for the sprite of the hero and you are done!!!
-However, if you want this feature only for specific tiles and not all traversable tiles there are some problems. There is no way to detect the ground pattern under the hero. It should be easily doable when custom grounds are added to the engine, probably for v1.7 (I think Chris told me that this feature will not be included yet for v1.6). It is also doable with custom entities everywhere, instead of tiles, but the game may run slow if the maps are huge and contain too many custom entities, so my recommendation is to avoid that if possible. Note that Chris is working on a feature for v1.6 that allows to use custom entities as tiles, i.e., they will allow to repeat their sprite if you resize them, which will make this option doable in a cleaner way for your purposes.
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."