Hero scaling

Started by GregoryMcGregerson, September 24, 2017, 09:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I haven't heard anything about this lately but is Hero scaling being worked on at all? It'd be nice to be able to use HD sprites and tiles eventually. I know you can technically use HD assets but the hit box is all wrong for everything. Should I put together a 32x resource pack to help gather interest?

The thing is scale2x or hq2x actually does what you want, 2x bigger sprites.

The interesting thing would be manually configure the hero's hitbox width and height, I think the hitbox is a 16x16 and non-customizable at the moment

September 25, 2017, 05:50:09 AM #2 Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 05:55:13 AM by GregoryMcGregerson
I'm talking about using tiles and sprites that are 2x or even 4x bigger then what the default currently is. Brand new HD quality, not resized by the engine using scaling filters. This is an old example but having everything redrawn from scratch or similar to it, like a knock off to get out of legal problems.

And yes changing the hero hit box is the main thing that's holding it back.

Graal:

FF5:

Nothing new indeed. There is an issue: https://github.com/solarus-games/solarus/issues/528
But yes, clearly it will make it more interesting if a 32x32 pack exists!

Alright I'll try to put together something this weekend. Gotta go through it and get rid of all the duplicate tiles, etc.