Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - boaromayo

Pages: [1]
Your scripts / Custom delay for dialogs
« on: March 06, 2019, 02:22:36 pm »
This feature took two and a half hours of programming and testing last night to get this right, but here it is!

I made some modifications to the dialog_box.lua script in the Solarus 1.6 sample quest. For this script add-on, the dialog can pause for any amount of time instead of using the default dialog box script, which only allows for a 1-second delay.

To get this working, use the '$' character, along with the '|' (pipe) character, then in between brackets, set the amount of time (in milliseconds) the dialog is paused, like so:

$|[sec]: the delay in milliseconds (Don't forget the '|' character!)

Sample dialog here:
Code: [Select]
  id = "beavers.eater.1",
  text = [[
$|\[500\].$|\[1000\].$|\[1000\].$|\[1000\]I was hungry.

Note: When editing the dialogs.dat file directly, you will have to type a backslash before putting in the brackets. When handling it in the editor, it's not needed.

Here is the script in action:

The modified dialog box.lua script is attached below (script is under the GNU GPL v3 license, script author by Christopho, special thanks to him!).

Bugs & Feature requests / Re: Cutscene builder bug
« on: February 20, 2019, 10:28:35 pm »
I managed to do a workaround using the cutscene builder, and the cutscene worked smoothly.

Thanks for the help anyway!

Bugs & Feature requests / Re: Cutscene builder bug
« on: February 20, 2019, 02:47:35 pm »
Hey, gregwar, thanks for the quick response!

I found the cutscene builder in this forum post here. It's been so helpful in putting my scenes together!

Also, thanks for the coroutine helper script!

Looks like I'm going to have to do rewrites now that that script is no longer going to be updated...

EDIT: Btw, can the coroutine helper be expanded to have more features, such as freezing or unfreezing the hero, or having the camera move to a certain location on the map? Plus, does this script only work on Solarus 1.6?

Bugs & Feature requests / Cutscene builder bug
« on: February 20, 2019, 01:04:06 pm »
I'm using std::gregwar's cutscene builder for my game, and for some reason, this error pops up whenever .hero_start_treasure() is called:

Error: In timer callback: [string "scripts/maps/cutscene.lua"]:252: bad argument #2 to start_treasure (integer expected, got function))

I tried using different arguments to call that function, but that same error prompt still pops up.

Here's snippets of my cutscene code:

Code: [Select]
function map:cutscene()
    -- Some other code here...
        type = "target",
        entity = hero,
        properties = {
          speed = 80,
          target = {124,200},
          smooth = true,
          ignore_obstacles = true
    .hero_start_treasure("prison_key", 1, "prison_key_get") -- This is where an error is triggered.
    .exec(game:set_value("main_story", 2))
    -- More code below...

Could this be a bug in the cutscene builder?

Her paper on Zelda dungeon generation was how I found out about Solarus.

Special thanks to her!

Bugs & Feature requests / Re: libphysfs.1.dylib issue on macOS Mojave
« on: January 31, 2019, 03:26:25 pm »
I've got the same problem on my end too, though my Mac OS version is on High Sierra (10.13.4). I'll do that fix and see if it works out!

I added in the directions for all of the animations for my sprite and it worked.

Thanks for the help again!

Thanks for responding quickly!  :)

The .dat file for the sprite's attached below.

I have a similar issue too.

Whenever I select the second scene from my demo (there's two scenes to choose from), it's supposed to change the hero's sprite to my custom sprite. But, after I select the scene, I get a prompt saying "Fatal: Cannot open data file 'sprites/'".

Here's my code that's producing the error, from "scripts\game_manager.lua":

Code: ( lua) [Select]
-- Code producing game crash.

  function game:initialize_hero()
    local hero = game:get_hero()
    if cursor == 1 then
    elseif cursor == 2 then
      --hero:set_tunic_sprite_id("hero/den_boy") <-- Whenever I set the sprite id to "den_boy", the game crashes. Every other sprite works fine.

I also get no "error.txt" file stating the issue.

Is this a bug in Solarus itself?

Or does it have something to do with my custom sprite having the wrong sizes? My custom sprite is 24x32 per frame.

General discussion / Re: Introductions
« on: June 29, 2018, 05:41:17 pm »
No, I don't work at Playtonic Games, sorry.

General discussion / Introductions
« on: June 26, 2018, 10:45:59 pm »
Haven't introduced myself formally yet, so hi there, Solarus community!

How I heard about Solarus was from a dissertation paper (Link: I read last year about generating random Zelda dungeons. After finding out that the scripting language for this engine uses Lua, and out of curiosity, I downloaded Solarus.

I'm adept with OOP languages such as Java, C++, and Ruby, and I'm also familiar with other game engines like RPG Maker and Unity.

Currently, I'm planning to use the Solarus engine to make a quest called The Epic of Den. Originally, this game was meant to be coded completely in Java, but I lost interest in the project.

Hope we can get along and make great open-source games!  :)

Pages: [1]