A list of free Music making Software and Soundfonts (sf2)

Started by Zefk, May 14, 2016, 07:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Free Music making Software and Soundfonts (sf2)

1.LMMS (Linux Multi Media Studio) It is for Windows too and OS X. I used this program to make over 500 free audio for Solarus and all my music is done with it. For instance, my Klgo Journey music I added for Solarus as well to use. LMMS is very very easy after you do a few tutorials. The soundfonts I listed at the bottom can be used in it. It is basically a free FL Studio. Examples of my audio.

1.5 - MidSequer This is the best free piano roll software like LMMS I could find for Android. It works quite well and has quite a few instrument choices, but you can not use midi, sf3, and VST.

2. Musagi - I do not know much about this software, but "llamazing" said that there are others saying good things about it. I think it sounds very game like. |Example|

2.5 - cgMusic - This software is amazing. It literally randomly generates music using algorithms. [sample]

At comment 105 at the site he mentions that it is okay to use them in "games" if credits clearly state that cgMusic was used during music production and it would be great if he could get a copy of the game. (but it is said in a way that one does not have to) It would be nice to credit Maciej Biedrzycki in my opinion.

QuoteMaciek says:
September 8th, 2014 at 3:05 pm
@alfwein Actually, I've been getting a lot of questions about the possibility of using cgMusic commercially and generally I was allowing it. The only thing I ask is that it is clearly stated in the credits that cgMusic was used during music production. Also it would be great if I could get a copy of the game, to see how the music was used :)

Anyway, this credit is important as copyright law is very unclear when it comes to algorithmic compositions. I would like everyone to avoid potential problems – after all the program can give two people identical results if the same random seed is used.

3. sfxr - This software is recommended by one of the best people (Diarandor) apart of the Solarus community. He says that it is very easy, simple and intuitive to use. |Example|

Sfxr even has an android version. This tells you how popular the software is. You can make sound effects when you are bored somewhere with your Smartphone.

You can use Wine on Linux too, but not on all hardware. Do not be sad because I searched like crazy to find the Linux source code, but only for gtk2 as far as I know. The original sources are gone. Also, you could use the online version: as3sfxr

Download Source: (Login to download)
Source
Source - Alternative Download (no need to login)

Open the terminal and install the dependencies:
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev libgtk2.0-dev

Extract and point Directory:
cd "Drag the sfxr-sdl-1.2.1 extracted folder in the terminal or type out the directory"

Ex: cd '/home/zefk/Downloads/sfxr-sdl-1.2.1'

Build and install:

make && sudo make install

Preview:

3.5 - Chiptone This software is basically just like sfxr.

4. Bfxr - Bfxr is an elaboration of the glorious Sfxr, the program of choice for many people looking to make sound effects for computer games. I will not add an example because you can try it online by clicking the link. Simple to use. Here is an older version if you have some interest in history: as3sfxr-b

You can use Wine on Linux too.

5. LabChirp - A program for creating sound effects for games, music, videos - whatever you want! It is a complex program and might require tutorials or this one.

You can use mono on Linux to run it, but you might need some mono .dll
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10490155/unable-to-run-net-app-with-mono-mscorlib-dll-not-found-version-mismatch
sudo apt-get install mono-complete

I installed the complete version and it worked, but I was in a rush and did not have to do that.

6. Famitracker - This software is a free windows tracker for producing music for the NES/Famicom-systems and it my favorite impulse tracker. That basically means 8/16bit audio, chiptune! I still think it sounds the best compared to similar modern copies. |Example|Example2||Instruments|

This works on Linux with Wine, but the piano might not show with Wine themes. For example, Windows XP Themes. I tried three different themes and the same error occurred. No theme and it is okay.

7. ChibiTracker The project seems to be dead, but it is very similar to Famitracker and still works. Also, it is said to work on Linux, but it might depend on a certain version. |Example|

8. DefleMask DefleMask is a free Cross-Platform tracker for producing music for many soundchips and old school systems. More chiptune like Famitracker, but this one works on Linux, Mac, and Windows. |Example|

9. Schism Tracker This is another impulse or chiptune software. It has a Windows and Linux version. This was made in early 90s and released in 1995. It became opensource in 2014. |Example|

10. CheeseTracker - This is another impulse tracker program. I find the name to be odd.

11. MilkyTracker - This tracker has an Android version. I have used the android port and there is a lot of settings for all needs.

List of Audio Trackers:
The link gave me great insight on how music was made in the 80s and 90s for video games. I did not think video game consoles had software made for them to make audio. I guess consoles were not for just playing games.
Here or long list

My word! There is a Gameboy Color tracker called Fatass! (It runs on emulators and a Gameboy Color.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYYl-clQL4w

And here is a list of more game system handheld trackers.

Impulse Tracker Graveyard:
It seems Wiki is hating on impulse trackers and deleting them off of Wikipedia. Here is a post for more about impulse trackers. I so want to call this chiptune abuse.

More impulse trackers on wiki.

SoundFont Editors:

Swami Project (Linux)

Polyphone (Windows or WINE)

The only real difference is that Polyphone can open sfz and export them as sf2. The project must be exported to the same directory where the sfz and samples are or it will not work unless you want to edit the directory in the sfz file with a text editor. You can move the sf2 after that because it no longer needs to be in the directory.

The only issue is that the music notes will not exist if there are missing notes in the sfz file sample directory folder.

SoundFont(sf2) list for others that want to help Solarus or make music:
Here are the links for those that want to help make music for Solarus or to just make music. You will probably need sfpack and sfark to decompress soundfonts (sf2 files).

(General Midi) is standard for instruments.

Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra (sfz) || sf2 Musescore Version

Virtual Playing Orchestra, created by Paul Battersby (sfz)

VSCO2 Community Edition, created by Versilian Studios (sfz)

Merlin Soundfont Banks, created by Merlin

NTONYX SoundFont 32Mb GM Stereo Set, created by NTONYX

PersonalCopy

Musyng Kite, created by Cose Vidal

FluidR3 SoundFont, created by Frank Wen || SourceForge Download

FluidR3Mono a fork of FluidR3_GM.sf2, created by Many (sf3)

GeneralUser SoundFont, created by S. Christian Collins

REALFONT 2.1 SoundFont, by Milo and friends

Timbres of Heaven Soundfont, by Don Allen

Chusocol SoundFont, by Pakitochus

OPL-3 FM 128M SoundFont, by Zandro Reveille

Gnusmas GM Soundfont, by Heinrich Zhao

FreePats, by many

Free LMMS or commercial FL Studio are good music making software choices I recommend, but LMMS is free. It does not support sfz though.

Tags:
sf2, Sound font, Soundfont, orchestra, Percussion, Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, Choir, SFX, instruments, Video game, audio, free, volunteer, Adventure, Space, fantasy, BGM, SE, ME, Background, Sound effect, Musical effect, chiptune, impulse tracker, 8bit, 8, bit, generator, music, sound,

Return to Solarus Resource Help Project

Quote from: Zefk on May 14, 2016, 07:46:33 PM
3. sfxr - This software is recommended by one of the best people (Diarandor) apart of the Solarus community. He says that it is very easy, simple and intuitive to use.

I did not know I was one of the best, lol. Thanks for the compliment! XD XD XD
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

You are welcome!  :D

I think you are one of the best! Christopho, MetalZelda, Kibos1er, and Wrightmat too! You guys are all very helpful and kind.  :)

Quote from: Diarandor on May 14, 2016, 11:38:49 PM
Quote from: Zefk on May 14, 2016, 07:46:33 PM
3. sfxr - This software is recommended by one of the best people (Diarandor) apart of the Solarus community. He says that it is very easy, simple and intuitive to use.

I did not know I was one of the best, lol. Thanks for the compliment! XD XD XD
And he is right :) Solarus is better than ever thanks to your feedback: bug reports and feature requests.

Added:
4. Famitracker - This software is a free windows tracker for producing music for the NES/Famicom-systems. That basically means 8/16bit audio.

Added:
5. ChibiTracker The project seems to be dead, but it is very similar to Famitracker and still works. Also, it is said to work on Linux, but it might depend on a certain version. |Example|

6. DefleMask DefleMask is a free Cross-Platform tracker for producing music for many soundchips and old school systems. More chiptune like Famitracker, but this one works on Linux, Mac, and Windows. |Example|

Added:

Impulse Tracker Graveyard:
It seems Wiki is hating on impulse trackers and deleting them off of Wikipedia. Here is a post for more about impulse trackers.

Well... sfxr is actually to create sounds (and not music). There are another 2 programs that are very useful to create sounds: bfxr and LabChirp. Bfxr is like an improved version of sfxr, it has more features and things so it is better, but it is more overwhelming  if you are learning how to create sounds (that is why I preferred sfxr, but I may consider using bfxr someday since now I got some experience).

I have never used LabChirp, but I have read that it is more customizable than bfxr, but less casual and less user friendly. Bfxr and LabChirp may be complementary, and using both of them at the same time may be a good choice.
"If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you. But if you really make them think, they'll hate you."

Added:

4. Bfxr - Bfxr is an elaboration of the glorious Sfxr, the program of choice for many people looking to make sound effects for computer games. I will not add an example because you can try it online by clicking the link. Simple to use.

5. LabChirp - A program for creating sound effects for games, music, videos - whatever you want! It is a complex program and might require tutorials or this one.

10. CheeseTracker - This is another impulse tracker program. I find the name to be odd.

I found this interesting link.
http://battleofthebits.org/lyceum/View/List+of+Trackers

I will add it above in the morning.
The link gave me great insight on how music was made in the 80s and 90s for video games.

Update:
I Added some information for Linux compatibility with Wine.

3. sfxr - This software is recommended by one of the best people (Diarandor) apart of the Solarus community. He says that it is very easy, simple and intuitive to use. |Example|

4. Bfxr - Bfxr is an elaboration of the glorious Sfxr, the program of choice for many people looking to make sound effects for computer games. I will not add an example because you can try it online by clicking the link. Simple to use.

You can use Wine on Linux too, but you might need some mono .dll
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10490155/unable-to-run-net-app-with-mono-mscorlib-dll-not-found-version-mismatch

I installed the complete version and it worked, but I was in a rush and did not have to do that.

6. Famitracker - This software is a free windows tracker for producing music for the NES/Famicom-systems and it my favorite impulse tracker. That basically means nostalgic 8/16bit audio, chiptune! I still think it sounds the best compared to similar modern copies. |Example|Example2||Instruments|

This works on Linux with Wine, but the piano might not show with Wine themes. For example, Windows XP Themes. I tried three different themes and the same error occurred. No theme and it is okay.

Linux Update:

You can use Wine on Linux too, but not on all hardware. Do not be sad because I searched like crazy to find the Linux source code. The original sources are gone.

Download Source: (Login to download)
Source

Open the terminal and install the dependencies:
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev libgtk2.0-dev

Extract and point Directory:
cd "Drag the sfxr-sdl-1.2.1 extracted folder in the terminal or type out the directory"

Ex: cd '/home/zefk/Downloads/sfxr-sdl-1.2.1'

Build and install:

make && sudo make install

Preview: